[Win2008] PS3 can't see media server on startup

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Getting PS3 to see media server on startup

Postby nayr » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:58 am

the upnp enabled option you see on the PS3 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the upnp av standards, its used for nat traversal only.. Its for those people too ignorant to figure out how to open/forward ports from there router when behind a NAT, and almost everyone using a PS3 is behind a NAT.

I have upnp disabled on my router, the ports forwarded manually, I have no problems getting the ps3 online or using PS3MS to stream media from my computer.
nayr

Postby jrothlis » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:54 pm

nayr wrote:the upnp enabled option you see on the PS3 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the upnp av standards, its used for nat traversal only.. Its for those people too ignorant to figure out how to open/forward ports from there router when behind a NAT, and almost everyone using a PS3 is behind a NAT.

I have upnp disabled on my router, the ports forwarded manually, I have no problems getting the ps3 online or using PS3MS to stream media from my computer.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. In any case, UPNP has been enabled on my router all along, so that's a dead-end. I still need to follow up on the Windows 2008 UPNP settings. However, given that I had older versions of PMS working previously (without having changed Windows 2008 settings in between) I am starting to abandon hope (at least on the current version).

I'll test a few of the older PMS versions to see how I go.
jrothlis

Postby kunahk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:34 pm

I too am having problem with PS3 not seeing PSM and I also running win2008 service. I also have TwonkyMedia DNLA server running on same server (different port) and don't have problem with PS3 not being able to see a DNLA server.

Only time PS3 will see PSM is during started up of PSM. I guess during startup PSM sents out some discovery/announcement packet to detect ps3 on the network and PS3 replies correctly and PSM shows up on the menu.

After that, if the PS3 is switched off etc, somehow PSM does not acknowledge other discovery request. I can simulate this if I do a search for media server on PS3, PSM disappears. Switching off TwonkyMedia, SSDP service does not help. Runing it as normal application (turning service off) also does not he
kunahk

Postby ps3fan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm having the same issue. Works great on initial startup but after any other activities on the ps3 (internet connection test, search for media servers, playing a game then quitting the game, or restarting the PS3) it is lost.

It comes back immediately if I start PMS, restart PMS, or change the PMS configuration and select 'restart HTTP server'. Nothing I do on the PS3 can restore the connection so I am stuck with remoting in from a laptop to restart PMS (which is a pain).
ps3fan

Postby sonic_screw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:29 pm

nayr wrote:I have upnp disabled on my router, the ports forwarded manually, I have no problems getting the ps3 online or using PS3MS to stream media from my computer.

I'm interested to know how you have this routing set up. As far as I know, I can only configure my router to forward incoming connections (from the outside world), there don't seem to be any options for routing traffic within my network. Is this just because I have a cheap router, or am I missing something? (Sweex LW050UK)

Either way, I had DLNA working fine with TVersity running on my 2k8 box, it just wouldn't play half of my video formats.

This definitely sounds like a Win2008-specific problem from the other posts, I'm doing a little more research then posting a bug ticket.
sonic_screw

Postby sonic_screw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:21 pm

I've opened a ticket on the issue tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/issues/detail?id=243

I find that when I "Search for Media Servers", it reports 0 found and the server disappears. But then it reappears within 3 minutes. Do other users find this to be the same? I believe it's related to a hard-coded 180sec "ALIVE" request which I located in the source: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/source/browse/trunk/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/network/UPNPHelper.java#173, as I've noted in the ticket.

However on restarting the PS3, the server never comes back, I've left it for quite some time without the ALIVE request seeming to do anything (not even causing a debug message).

[Edit:]

Issue 54 Comment 15 mentions the exact same problem on XP:
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/issues/detail?id=54&can=1&q=vista&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars#c15

Comment 16 confirms it and suggests "wait for a fix"; but I can't see the bug listed anywhere else in a ticket of its own.
sonic_screw

Postby ExSport » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Wait for upcoming version. It seem that it is fixed now. Tested in Cidero and now
PMS answers on all alive/request messages from UPnP clients.
ExSport

Postby jrothlis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:11 pm

ExSport wrote:Wait for upcoming version. It seem that it is fixed now. Tested in Cidero and now
PMS answers on all alive/request messages from UPnP clients.

Fantastic news!
jrothlis

Postby sonic_screw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Just compiled latest source from trunk and it seems fine now. Great stuff!
sonic_screw

Postby jrothlis » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:46 am

sonic_screw wrote:Just compiled latest source from trunk and it seems fine now. Great stuff!

Even more fantastic! :D

I'm not up to compiling from source, so I anxiously await the official release. I reckon this will be "the one" (for me).
jrothlis

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support