[Win2008] PS3 can't see media server on startup

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

[Win2008] PS3 can't see media server on startup

Postby sonic_screw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:36 am

Hi all,

Just switched on my PS3 and it's not seeing the server. Everything was working fine yesterday, but I started with the PS3 *on* and when I started PSM it recognised the PS3 straight away. Today it's the other way round, PSM is sat there running, but it doesn't seem to be aware that my PS3 has now started.

I had similar issue when I first started with TVersity, but eventually the problem seemed to fix itself and the server was always there when I switched the PS3 on.

My setup is Win 2008, and I have PSM running as a service. Any help appreciated! Thanks.

/SonicScrew
Last edited by sonic_screw on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sonic_screw

Re: Getting PS3 to see media server on startup

Postby sonic_screw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:06 pm

The server eventually showed up, but only after I'd manually restarted the service, and even then it still took a minute or two before it appeared. Is this normal?

/SonicScrew
sonic_screw

Postby jrothlis » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:36 pm

This seems to be the same or similar issue that I am seeing. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=237.
jrothlis

Postby Gussi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm having the same problem, I have to start PS3 before I start PMS or else it wont show up. If I start PS3 and then PMS it will show up no prob, but will disappear if I play a game or even scan for media devices (that's right, it'll disappear right away and wont come back). I'm wondering if it's my routers fault, if I go to Settings -> Internet Settings -> Internet Connection Test it will show UPnP as "Not available". However I didn't have this problem while using MediaTomb, so, not sure exactly what's wrong :/
Gussi

Postby sonic_screw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:20 pm

jrothlis wrote:This seems to be the same or similar issue that I am seeing. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=237.

I see you are also running Win 2008, could be significant?

Gussi wrote:I'm having the same problem, I have to start PS3 before I start PMS or else it wont show up. If I start PS3 and then PMS it will show up no prob, but will disappear if I play a game or even scan for media devices (that's right, it'll disappear right away and wont come back). I'm wondering if it's my routers fault, if I go to Settings -> Internet Settings -> Internet Connection Test it will show UPnP as "Not available". However I didn't have this problem while using MediaTomb, so, not sure exactly what's wrong :/

If the PSM is already found, and I scan for media devices, it confirms "1 media server found" and I don't lose the device. Haven't played any games yet since I got it running, so don't know if that'll cause a problem.

I also see "UPnP not available" on the Internet Connection Test; but UPnP MUST be working, otherwise the server wouldn't be showing up at all. So this could be a PS3 incompatibility with particular routers or protocols. My router is a cheapish Sweex, from which I run a 4-port Linksys hub to downstairs, and the PS3 is cabled into that; although if I run the PS3 just on wireless, I still get "UPnP not available" - so it doesn't seem like that's anything to do with the hub.

Having to restart the software all the time isn't an option - the media is there for other people in my house as well, and I'm not giving them the Admin password to the server! ;) Is there anything I can do to help track this problem down?
sonic_screw

Postby jrothlis » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:57 pm

I don't see how UPNP on the router can have any effect. It is for controlling inbound ports from the Internet, and has nothing to do with internal LAN communications (when two machines are on the same subnet, they talk directly to each other). I'm fairly sure I didn't have this issue with previous PMS versions, and I've only ever run it on Windows 2008 (the reason I'm not 100% sure is that I was fiddling/playing with it a lot while I initially got it going, so wouldn't necessarily have noticed).

Really keen to get this sorted as it is the *only* outstanding issue for me!
jrothlis

Postby jrothlis » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:59 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)
jrothlis

Postby sonic_screw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:09 pm

jrothlis wrote:I don't see how UPNP on the router can have any effect. It is for controlling inbound ports from the Internet, and has nothing to do with internal LAN communications (when two machines are on the same subnet, they talk directly to each other).

No; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play:

The goals of UPnP are to allow devices to connect seamlessly and to simplify the implementation of networks in the home (data sharing, communications, and entertainment)

DLNA works entirely via UPnP, as I understand it. It allows devices to broadcast that they offer a particular service; yes computers can talk directly in the subnet, but until you know which computer is offering what service, you don't know who to talk to.
sonic_screw

Postby jrothlis » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:46 pm

Ok, that gives me a couple of things to check out:

1) Does Windows 2008 have UPNP?
2) Is UPNP enabled on my router?

One of the problems with troubleshooting this issue is that the problem isn't immediately obvious. So I have to restart PMS, then wait for the PS3 to lose access to it (or not, if the problem is fixed).
jrothlis

Postby sonic_screw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:06 pm

1) Yes it does, check that the SSDP Discovery service is started, I also enabled the UPnP Device Host service just to make sure, although I don't believe it was needed
2) UPnP is usually disabled by default on most routers, so if you've never enabled it, chances are it's off

*However* I still maintain that ps3mediaserver wouldn't even be able to see your PS3, full stop, if UPnP wasn't working. Previously when I was running TVersity, I *had* to enable UPnP before anything could happen at all. Obviously I've now moved to ps3mediaserver, and I haven't touched the UPnP settings, so I can't actually guarantee that nothing will work - but DLNA requires UPnP, so I don't see how anything could function at all without it.

My next question, if you think you might have previously had it working, is how long ago did you first start using it? Perhaps I can download an older version of the software from that time, and see if it behaves any differently. If it does, I can start trawling through SVN logs to see what might have broken it...
sonic_screw

Next

Return to General Help and Support