PS3MS really sloooow to browse folders?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PS3MS really sloooow to browse folders?

Postby MikeAndSal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:42 pm

shagrath wrote:seems there's a weird problem in the parsing or whatever, and you are reaching the 20 seconds timeout for every request, hence the slow responses
please try the latest beta, without the media library enabled and repost the same log output

OK. I've not yet got the latest beta, but disabling the media library seems to sort the speed problem for media coming off my harddisk. :D There is still a speed issue for media coming off the network storage, but that isn't nowhere near as bad as previous delays.

So, there seems to be an issue with the media library. I'll get hold of the latest beta and try and see if that fixes the problem, since I really like the media library side of things.

However, I *know* that I've tried to enable and disable the media library before sending a message here. I've been running PS3MS as service, but like other guys I've had trouble with getting the PS3MS to run as a service out of the box. I've been running PS3MS as a service for a few weeks using the technique suggested here. http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2498

I would have assumed that stopping the service, making changes to the configuration via the PS3MS exe, and re-starting the service would affect the service configuration. That's the technique I've been using when testing the speed issue. But, I suspect that the service wasn't picking up the new configuration.

When looking at the debug log, I noticed that when I stopped the service I couldn't' rename or truncate the debug.log file since it was still in use. (And, no, the EXE wasn't running either.) I'm thinking that running the service using Srvany.exe is somehow not stopping the service correctly but it is reporting that it is. If that is true, then me changing the configuration all over the place wouldn't have made any difference since the PS3MS service wouldn't have picked this until the PC was re-booted. (Which also explains why when I update the web.config, a re-start of the service doesn't pick this up but a re-boot does. :roll: ) I think more investigation is required here.

All of this isn't an issue with PS3MS (aside from why it doesn't run as a service correctly in the first place) but could be useful to know.

Cheers
MikeAndSal

Postby shagrath » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:36 pm

well there's a massive improvement about media library, so I guess you're doomed to try the beta :p
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby MikeAndSal » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:52 pm

shagrath wrote:well there's a massive improvement about media library, so I guess you're doomed to try the beta :p

FYI, I've downloaded 1.11.339 beta, enabled the media server and browsing folders/playing files is fine with none of the slowdown seen with 1.10.5.

Thanks Shagrath! :D
MikeAndSal

Postby assman1030 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:47 am

I'm having a similar problem. I'm using the latest beta build and have media library enabled. Yet I have a lot of lag and slow folder response. If I use media library folder everything seems to be fine. Why does it work going to media one way, but slow in the other?
assman1030

Postby meskibob » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:50 pm

If browsing folders/files is slower immediately after updating to a new build, you probably just need to recreate your media library:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1410&p=6444#p6429
Note that since that post the scanning feature has been greatly improved speedwise so feel free to use either method (scan or just browsing)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Previous

Return to General Help and Support