performance degrading?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

performance degrading?

Postby vortextk » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:12 pm

And to get this out of the way, Core 2 duo(2.13ghz) with 2gigs of ddr2. Ps3 is on the network wirelessly with usually a decent signal strength(80%+).

Ok now, this has been happening often and I don't really know why. Last night for example, I watched 3 episodes streamed over the wireless to my ps3 with 0 stutters after the initial 5-10 seconds for the video to come up. Low quality, only 640x480. Now the file DOES have soft subs on the computer, but I'm not actually using them on the ps3(english track, no subtitles) and when this was happening before those other files had no subs at all. I'm not using the transcode option here, but then for most things, especially something such low quality, I never do and everything usually works fine. So this morning I go to load up episode 4. After like 20-30 seconds of a black screen, it comes up, runs for a few seconds, and pauses. This continues until I just shut it off.

I restart the media server, restart the ps3, same problem. Again, it started doing this before on different files, ones that I had watched BEFORE and eventually when it finally worked AFTER as well, with no problems whatsoever.

Nothing is really running on my computer, usually a browser window or something. I don't have any downloading/uploading going on, and the only other computer that uses this network is turned off most of the day(which it is now). Other than perhaps a problem leaving the computer itself on for a very long time with ps3 media server, so rebooting my computer every once in awhile to fix this, I don't know what else could be causing these TERRIBLE stutters yet most of the time the same files will play with even 1 popping up.

*Edit* Oh and I'm using everything that came with the program default except that I set my cores to 2 and video quality settings to 25/5/2, which was mainly for a couple files I played the other day that were too large. But I'm under the impression that only matters when you actually select the transcode folder when browsing on the ps3 itself?

Looking for any help that you've got =) Please ask if I left something important out.
vortextk

Re: performance degrading?

Postby vortextk » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 pm

Well nevermind "Degrading". I can't even get ANY video to play now without taking 30 seconds to load and stopping every few seconds during playback.
vortextk

Postby meskibob » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:17 pm

Try specifying the Max Bandwidth under the Common Transcode settings. Start with 15mpbs for Wifi and then adjust from there.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby vortextk » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:42 pm

I set it to 10 like two weeks ago and that's where it has stayed. Sorry I forgot to mention that.
vortextk

Return to General Help and Support