Stuttering by subtitles

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Stuttering by subtitles

Postby Eldorn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi folks,

just got a PS3 and found this nice program to play my animes on TV.
I've read myself through several threads und guides but i guess, this is where i got stuck.
I got an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 as processor with 4 GB Ram and a 50 mbit w-lan combined with the CCCP.
When i play a .mkv container without subtitles everything is well, audio and video are just as they used to be.
And as far as i understand it, as an .mkv container this video gets muxed by ps3ms?!?
So what bothers me is, as soon as i activate the embedded subtitles, the video starts stuttering and it seems like its only rendering 3 or 4 pictures per second.
The audio gets the same way. Audio and video are perfectly synchron, just the little problem its stuttering like hell...
I'm using MEncoder with Multicore support, tsmuxer and MPlayer Audio.

i would appreciate any help in this matter, since encoding/decoding is like a complete new thrill to me ^^
Eldorn

Re: Stuttering by subtitles

Postby meskibob » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:41 pm

w/o Subtitles = just remux
w/ Subtitles = full transcode to embed subtitles into video track
The latter results in a MPEG2 video which requires a lot more bandwidth than the source H264 (I assume) video track. I'd first confirm that your WLAN bandwidth is actually 50mbit, and after confirming the true throughput specifying that as the Max Bandwidth under the PMS Common Transcode settings. If that doesn't work (which means your CPU now can't keep up, although I doubt this will happen with your CPU specs) you'll need to decrease the Video Quality settings, also under the PMS Common Transcode settings.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Eldorn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:18 pm

Sometimes the solution is just too obvious :)
According to my Ps3 the bandwith use was around 130 mbit/s ^^
Bandwith limitation didn't do it, but lowering the quality settings just worked perfectly fine :)
Just too obvious :(

Anyway, big thanks for the hint in the right direction ^^
Eldorn

Postby psebos » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:13 am

because of the stuttering you cannot trust the value that your ps3 is showing (130Mb).
This value is some type of average and it just goes up with the stuttering.

The place you should look is the PSM Status tab.
- If your video is stuttering and the buffer is not empty then it is your network.
- If your video is stuttering and the buffer is almost empty or completely empty it is your CPU.

In both cases changing the trancode quality options should work great.
Assuming it is your processor, another option you can
try is installing avisynth with coreavc (assuming you have a cuda supported video card).
This worked great for me.
psebos

Return to General Help and Support