Works great on Wireless, not at all on wired

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Works great on Wireless, not at all on wired

Postby Ischliky » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:16 am

I have encountered an odd problem i can not seem to find an answer too when searching both google and these forums.

i have my PMS working perfectly when i run my computer(laptop) and the PS3 on wireless using a WRTG54(linksys) router. however if i run both of them wired through the same router, they can no longer find each other. I can ping from the computer to the PS3 with no problem. If i run the computer with both wireless and wired connections, it still does not work, however once i pull the plug on the cat5 it decides to work fine on the wireless. i have gotten PMS to run on both the wireless IP and the wired IP both, but if the cable is plugged in it doesnt seem to want to work, even with wireless disabled and only wired.

the actual streaming/transcoding works great, but i only have a 802.11g router, so running on wireless is less then optimal if i want to watch anything resembling HD.

I am running on ubuntu 9.04 so i can move this to linux if needed, but since it works fine on wireless i thought i would try here first. if any other information would be helpful i can include. there are no noticable differences in the traces when im on either connection.

CPU core2 duo 1.8Ghz
2 gig ram
pms v1.10.5
Ischliky

Re: Works great on Wireless, not at all on wired

Postby meskibob » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:06 pm

Different router, but try some of the suggestions listed in this thread (specifically looking at Multicast): viewtopic.php?t=500
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Ischliky » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:23 pm

i viewed all of those suggestions and my router has no options for multicast, except to block multicasts from my ISP, which had no effect on connection

also i can use the PS3 wired, as long as the laptop is running wireless and it is still ok. i took both of them off the router and tried a standard simple switch and still couldnt get it to work wired.

is it possible that my built in network card that came with a dell inspiron 1720 would not have support for UPnP?
Ischliky

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:22 pm

It could be that PMS is binding to the "wrong" network device. Your laptop may have separate wired and wireless devices. Under the "General Configurations" tab, try changing the "Force Networking on Interface" around and see if that helps.
Azrael

Postby Ischliky » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:28 pm

I finally figured it out. apperently my firewall(firestarter) had different modes it was in depending on how i was connected, so while it worked with only Wifi active, once i plugged in the network card, it was changing modes to protect me differently. so effectively i had to open it up again on my firewall so that port was active

i felt really dumb once i found this out, but i really wasnt expecting the firewall to do that, or at least, do it w/o telling me it was :)

thanks for the suggestions
Ischliky

Return to General Help and Support