Plenty of Resources, Still Skipping

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Plenty of Resources, Still Skipping

Postby duerra » Sun May 31, 2009 8:54 pm

I have a new quad core @ 2.5 GHz with 4 GB of memory, attached to a drobo via USB 2.0. For some reason when I try to transcode 1080p content, I'm still getting skipping and the transcode buffer isn't filling up in PS3MS. I am attached via wired ethernet, so I also know that the network should not be a limitation. Can anybody help me determine what I might do to fix this issue?
Last edited by duerra on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
duerra

Re: Plenty of Resources, Still Skipping

Postby pmos69 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:59 pm

try using the multicore build of mencoder
pmos69

Postby duerra » Sun May 31, 2009 9:29 pm

That's the bolded checkbox in the transcoding settings tab under mencoder, correct? I have that box checked. I should also add that I'm using version 1.11.335, the latest build from these forums for PS3MS.
duerra

Postby shagrath » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:33 pm

weird, if the buffer does not fill up, either your video is a overkill one (but I don't think so, with such a cpu), or your video is a VC1 one, which decoding is not multicore capable
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Subject2Change » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Could be the USB connection from the Drobo to the PC. USB is fairly slow. Try moving the file locally and see if its any better.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Postby duerra » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Hmm, it seems to be happening with all my HD videos, so I'm presuming they're not all VC1. USB should be able to support a real-world 15 MB/s without too much hassle, and streaming HD video should only be in the area of 2 MB/s if my math is correct. Does the PSMS have some sort of temp file transcoding buffer that it writes to? If so, where is that temporary file written to? I could see USB 2.0 being a hassle if PS3MS is reading from the external drive, then writing a temp file back to the external drive, then reading back from that external drive again.
duerra

Postby ExSport » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:11 pm

If you transcode 1080p video, bitrate could be with no problem 100Mbit/s = 12MB/s.
Not always external drive can achieve 15MB/s. You need to count also fragmentation which sometimes can degrade speed up to 2MB/s with heavy fragmentation...
Also 100Mbit wired connection not always perform with 100Mbit speed when misconfiguration or bad cabling used.
Hard to say where is the root cause....
ExSport

Postby duerra » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:23 pm

I think I can count out fragmentation, since I just got my drobo and put my data onto it. I also do not think it's due to the network connection, since if the connection was the bottleneck the transcoding buffer should be filling up but the video would still be skipping, but that is not the case. I can try copying over a file to the local drive to see if this fixes the problem (though that would be a massive let-down, I just bought this new hardware specifically for the purpose of being able to collect and transcode any and all of my HD video).

I should also note that my transfer of data from my other external HDD to my drobo was happening at a steady pace of about 16 MB/s by the time the transfer had completed.

@shagrath - can you tell me any more about the transcoding buffer and how this operates? Is my concern that I noted in my previous message a possibility? If so, would it be possible to add in an option to specify where temp files should be written to? Does it seem realistic that USB 2.0 is in fact my bottleneck here?
duerra

Postby meskibob » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:00 pm

duerra wrote:@shagrath - can you tell me any more about the transcoding buffer and how this operates? Is my concern that I noted in my previous message a possibility? If so, would it be possible to add in an option to specify where temp files should be written to? Does it seem realistic that USB 2.0 is in fact my bottleneck here?
Transcoding is done in memory. Other processes could be getting paged out to the HDD, but that should all be on the system drive, not the data storage.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby pmos69 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:04 pm

Also, the file is read from the disk at a much lower pace than the numbers posted. (just divide the number of MB of a file by the number of seconds the video lasts for an average Byte rate.
pmos69

Next

Return to General Help and Support