How to deal with large music collections?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

How to deal with large music collections?

Postby EvilJack » Sun May 31, 2009 3:04 pm

Is there any solution for dealing with large music collections? I have over 1000 artists and to scroll to an "S" artist is so painful it makes this software not even worth using for listening to music. What about playlists? I'd settle for the ability to make playlists. Thanks...
EvilJack

Re: How to deal with large music collections?

Postby meskibob » Sun May 31, 2009 3:29 pm

Playlists work, although the PS3 seems a little particular about what playlists it actually likes (as far as formatting). There are a few threads about this so do some searching for any tips.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ecn113 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:06 am

I have also wondered about this. I have all my music set with the genre A-Z for better use with a car interface. I was planning on using the media library to browse by genre and have it in alphabetical order.
ecn113

Postby MilkyJoe7 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:54 pm

If you use the Media library you can browse by letter... however I find the Media Library incredibly buggy. Incorrect track listing order on some albums, as well as failing to reset and re-scan properly. Why can't it be more like foobar2000?
MilkyJoe7

Postby mandalore » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:07 pm

With 6000 songs I have the same issue. I have my collection categorized by genre and I rank each song. I have a playlist for each genre so I sorted by rank and copied each batch of highly rated songs into their own folder by genre in a parent playlist folder. Back to the PS3, all I have to do is go to the playlist folder in the music folder and there I have my favorite tunes by genre. Sort of a pain to keep updated, but I just started working with the PS3 media server and this is my first stab at the problem. BTW - I love this program!!! Thank you to the folks that created it. It works like a champ on my pics and tunes. Video is choppy, but I am sure it's my connections and I don't have the expertise to tweak them.
mandalore

Postby captin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:25 am

I have just under 5Tb of music on several drives all dynamically linked to appear as 1 drive. (the pc has 6 SATA slots and 6 1tb drives)

All music is catagorised in the folders with ALL tags made correct before.

I just use A-Z folders for artists, plus VA for compilations of various artists.

I dont use any media libraries, I prefer to have all the tags and filenames made correct as I find different libraries read different tags, and windows media library doesnt seem to ead any tage just makes it up as it goes along.

I find a good filing system works best and PS3mediaserver works fine just browsing the files.
captin

Return to General Help and Support