Run PMS as a service

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Run PMS as a service

Postby railman229 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:15 am

My server never ran right using the install as service function on PMS. Since installing the service per these instructions, it has ran flawlessly. To have PS3 Media Server run as a service and auto-start when you computer boots..

1) If running, shut down PS3 Media Server

2) Download Windows Server 2003 Resource Kits Tools and install

3) Open command prompt (run as administrator) and type in this command.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\Instsrv.exe" "PS3 Media Server" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\Srvany.exe"

This is the default directory for Windows 7 64 bit VERIFY YOUR PATHWAY!!!

4) Once you receive the message that the service has been installed successfully, use the Windows "Run" command and type in regedit, then find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PS3 Media Server

5) Add a new sub-key called Parameters.

6) In the Parameters key, create a new string value named Application.

7) Set the value data of Application to the full path of the executable file. For example, C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\PMS.exe" Save and close the registry editor.

8) Go back to the "Run" command and type services.msc, find PS3 Media Server and start the service.

Enjoy!!!!
railman229

Re: Run PMS as a service

Postby jpmanner » Sun May 31, 2009 7:51 pm

This works awesome. I had the same problem with not being able to get the service to work properly.

How do you go into the actual executable once it is installed as a service . The exe won't open?
jpmanner

Postby railman229 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:40 pm

Yeah I forgot to mention. There is a PMS.bat file in the PMS program folder. If you click on that it will open up a command prompt then ask you to press any key. Once you do that it will open up the executble to make any changes inside of the program.
railman229

Postby jpmanner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:21 am

Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!! Great post!!!!
jpmanner

Postby jotpilot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:54 pm

Windows 7 RC here. Can't get the service to work properly no matter what. Tried the above, tried disabling Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, PS3 just will not see the PC. Starting PMS normally works flawlessly.
jotpilot

Postby railman229 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:26 am

Which version of pms are you using? Thise instructions work perfectly with 1.10.51 but I am getting issues with server recognotion with the 11.31 beta version
railman229

Postby jotpilot » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:42 am

Using 1.10.51. Followed your instructions exactly and didn't work here. I had no problems when using Vista.
jotpilot

Postby sekhu » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:30 pm

I tried to follow the instrutions, but I get stuck on the third part with the command line. When I copy and paste the text, it tells me "This service has already been started", even though I disabled the service in services.msc. I tried net stop and entered "net stop ps3 media server", but it tell sme the syntax is "net stop service", I think it's becuase I used spaces in "ps3 media server", but I don't know how to stop it otherwise.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I deleted the service and then carried on from step 3 and I think it works now. Thanks
sekhu

Postby railman229 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Are u aok now?
railman229

Postby racedriver » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:12 pm

railman226,
I have installed pms on WHS per above instruction but it does not automatically start whenever I restart the WHS. I would appreciate more detailed instruction. Also sekhu mentioned that he deleted service and then carried on from step 3. What is the command to delete the service?
thanks.
racedriver

Next

Return to General Help and Support