Copy to hardrive

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Copy to hardrive

Postby omering » Fri May 29, 2009 3:48 pm

I got a PS3 in the same network as my PC (using wireless network)...
Now I got a movie I want to watch on my PS3 and I have the subtitle file and everything, the subtitles works alright, but - i want to watch the movie without lags in the middle, so I need to copy it to the PS3 hardrive, I press on "Triangle" (in my ps3 controller), then pick "Copy", and it starts to copy it to my ps3, But the loading bar doesn't move and the size of the file doesn't show also - it just shows MBs rising up and up and reaching beyond the file size, it went to atleast 800mb and the movie is only about 720mb.... I canceled the copy.... and the file wasn't in my PS3 hardrive...
so how can I copy a movie to my PS3 hardrive without having all these bugs? and another questions, if the subtitles file is the same name as the movie, and the movie's name at the media server is showing as "Moviename.avi blabla [external subtitles]" or something like this, will the movie be copied to the hardrive with the subtitles? will the subtitles be builtin or they will be in a differrent file?

And if someone answers my questions, please don't answer exectly to my questions I would like some explaining about the whole topic cause I'm kinda new to this....

Thanks A LOT to all the helpers.

OmeRinG.

:D
omering

Re: Copy to hardrive

Postby ExSport » Fri May 29, 2009 3:55 pm

When you use subtitles, video has to be always trancoded so video will grow in size.
For example, 700MB avi you can copy as is to PS3, but when you need subtitles and you will use transcoded version, PMS will transcode(re-encode) it to MPEG2.
If you have set maximum quality in PMS, then file can have up to 10x greater size.
Try to search in forum and you will find lot of answers for your questions ;)
ExSport

Postby meskibob » Fri May 29, 2009 3:59 pm

omering wrote:But the loading bar doesn't move and the size of the file doesn't show also - it just shows MBs rising up and up and reaching beyond the file size, it went to atleast 800mb and the movie is only about 720mb....
The file size is larger because you're transcoding inorder to embed the subtitles (PS3 doesn't accept streamed soft subs, and only accepts local soft subs on Xsub'd AVI's), and because of this the resultant file size isn't defined. You can reduce the final file size by reducing the quality settings and adding a max bandwidth under the Common Transcode settings in PMS.
omering wrote:and another questions, if the subtitles file is the same name as the movie, and the movie's name at the media server is showing as "Moviename.avi blabla [external subtitles]" or something like this, will the movie be copied to the hardrive with the subtitles? will the subtitles be builtin or they will be in a differrent file?
Yes, it will have the subtitles, and they will be burned into the video track so there are no subtitle options in the PS3 control panel.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby omering » Fri May 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Ok thanks a lot for your answers, didn't think I'll get them that fast... I'll go ahead and try it out :D....
is there anyway to know when the transfer will be finished? since as I said it just shows MB's rising up...
omering

Postby Subject2Change » Fri May 29, 2009 7:58 pm

It's gonna be at least 4-5 times as large as the original file figure at least 3GB or so. So it'll take some time on a wireless connection to move this file over.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Return to General Help and Support