VOB or MP4 ?? best quality / size.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

VOB or MP4 ?? best quality / size.

Postby mgideon » Thu May 28, 2009 6:57 pm

I got everything working great. I'm wondering about quality and size now. Which has better quality a VOB or MP4? Would I save /gain anything from converting my vobs to mp4? I'd much rather buy more storage than skimp on quality so size isn't important, just curious about the difference.
mgideon

Re: VOB or MP4 ?? best quality / size.

Postby zomgheals » Fri May 29, 2009 12:02 pm

i dont think you can increase the quality from an original file... if you want quality rip 100% from DVD/Blu-Ray - .mkv are probably best for size/quality, but im not too sure, i have alot of 60mb .mkv that looks almost as good as DVD quality.

the only thing you'll do different from converting vob to mp4 is, time (Could cost you couple hours depending on how many you wanna convert) + will save alot of storage space.
zomgheals

Re: VOB or MP4 ?? best quality / size.

Postby Topguy » Fri May 29, 2009 11:59 pm

mgideon wrote:I got everything working great. I'm wondering about quality and size now. Which has better quality a VOB or MP4? Would I save /gain anything from converting my vobs to mp4? I'd much rather buy more storage than skimp on quality so size isn't important, just curious about the difference.

You will never "gain" any quality from converting from one compressed format to another, you will always loose (or keep identical) quality.

You can of course save a lot of space by converting movies to Xvid and just keep one sound-track and skip all extras/menues, but if size is not a matter then keep the original.
Topguy

Return to General Help and Support