Question on shared drives and folder layout

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Question on shared drives and folder layout

Postby dragoonkain » Thu May 28, 2009 6:53 pm

Right off the bat, fantastic work Shagrath, cheers! :D

I have done some searching on this topic, but alas found nothing. (Forgive me if it has already been posted)

I am using PMS 1.20, P4 2.8, 1GB DDR400, Wired 100MBit Full, Windows XP SP3, PMS Installed as a service.

I have another PC on my network that I would like to stream files from, but I cannot seem to get PMS to pick up the folders. (I have tried restarting PMS service and PS3, after changes were made)

I have tried UNC paths over the network directly from PMS: \\computername\Movies Continued (PMS displays nothing)

and I have mapped the root folder as a drive on my media pc: x:\ and shared this in PMS x:\Movies Continued (PMS displays nothing)

I have also shared the mapped drive x:\ in PMS (PMS displays nothing)

Am I missing something in my setup, either on PC, PMS or PS3, or is it a limitation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Last edited by dragoonkain on Thu May 28, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragoonkain

Re: Question on shared drives and folder layout

Postby meskibob » Thu May 28, 2009 7:24 pm

Other people have been able to successfully use networked storage devices as sources for their media, so something is probably messed up on your end. Post the PMS debug.log after trying to browse the drive in the PS3's XMB, as well as screenshots of your PMS share settings and your My Computer setup for the drive.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby dragoonkain » Thu May 28, 2009 11:50 pm

Thanks for the response meskibob, however, after reading that some people were having issues with the service, I removed it, reinstalled java and PMS from scratch, did not install the service and lo and behold it works like a charm.

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers.
dragoonkain

Postby mgideon » Fri May 29, 2009 4:59 pm

So what finally worked? UNC or a mapped drive? I'm thinking about getting one of the newer external hardrives that you can put an IP address on. I guess then you could map a drive letter to it from your pc and use that drive letter in the PS3MS interface......

Anyone tried this yet?
mgideon

Postby meskibob » Fri May 29, 2009 5:46 pm

mgideon wrote:So what finally worked? UNC or a mapped drive? I'm thinking about getting one of the newer external hardrives that you can put an IP address on. I guess then you could map a drive letter to it from your pc and use that drive letter in the PS3MS interface......

I don't believe PMS accepts UNC addresses, although I haven't personally confirmed this. Mapping the networked drives does work.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ExSport » Fri May 29, 2009 6:21 pm

You can use UNC paths without problems, like
Code: Select all
\\servername\share\folder
or
\\mycomp\d$
etc.
ExSport

Postby meskibob » Fri May 29, 2009 6:41 pm

ExSport wrote:You can use UNC paths without problems, like
\\servername\share\folder
or
\\mycomp\d$
etc.

Good to know. Thanks.
meskibob

Postby dragoonkain » Fri May 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Seems that my issue was with the PMS service, as soon as that was removed both UNC and drive mappings work as they should.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.
dragoonkain

Return to General Help and Support