Many questions from a newb

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Many questions from a newb

Postby NovaPhoenix » Thu May 28, 2009 7:30 am

Hi all. I've got plans to stream ripped DVDs and Blurays to my PS3 via a gigabit NAS in the near future. The DVD and Blurays, for the most part, would just be the main movie and best audio.
I just need to know some things first...

1) Is it possible to setup the program so it just streams and doesn't transcode?
2) Will any renaming of the VOB/M2TS (DVD/BRD respectively) files have to be done before the PS3 will recognize them?
3) For certain films that have forced subtitles (The Last Samurai, Die Hard 4, the Star Wars films), and ones that are optional but needed (Volcano High - Japanese audio w/Ennglish subs), what can I do to ensure those subs are displayed?
4) For "Dragon Wars" (BRD) and the Star Wars films, these have forced subs that are somewhat in the lower black bar. I like to use my Plasma's function to crop those bars out, but this cuts the forced subs in half, or hides them completely. Is there any way I can relocate the subs for these films so that the TV cropping won't cut/hide them? Preferably without re-encoding the entire xx.xx GB film.
5) Since I am ripping the movies as is, will I definitely need a gigabit network for streaming of the 1080p Blurays with their HD audio?
6) My modem/router (Netcomm NB6Plus4 wired) mentions nothing about gigabit speeds, so will it be a bottleneck and therefore need to be changed? Naturally I'd be using CAT6 cables.

If this all works out, I'd have a NAS with all my movies easily accessible.
NovaPhoenix

Re: Many questions from a newb

Postby meskibob » Thu May 28, 2009 1:15 pm

NovaPhoenix wrote:1) Is it possible to setup the program so it just streams and doesn't transcode?
PMS streams by default for files that are PS3 compatible and don't have subtitles (except for subtitles hardcoded into the video track). You can completely disable all of the transcoding engines, however I don't think you'll be able to do so while maintaining all the functionality you want (see the response to points 3/4 below).
NovaPhoenix wrote:2) Will any renaming of the VOB/M2TS (DVD/BRD respectively) files have to be done before the PS3 will recognize them?
Both file types are recognized by PMS as valid video media, so there shouldn't be any renaming required to have PMS display them on the XMB.
NovaPhoenix wrote:3) For certain films that have forced subtitles (The Last Samurai, Die Hard 4, the Star Wars films), and ones that are optional but needed (Volcano High - Japanese audio w/Ennglish subs), what can I do to ensure those subs are displayed?
4) For "Dragon Wars" (BRD) and the Star Wars films, these have forced subs that are somewhat in the lower black bar. I like to use my Plasma's function to crop those bars out, but this cuts the forced subs in half, or hides them completely. Is there any way I can relocate the subs for these films so that the TV cropping won't cut/hide them? Preferably without re-encoding the entire xx.xx GB film.
Unless the subtitles are hardcoded ("burned") into the video track, you'll need to transcode to see the subtitles (and also perform any subtitle manipulation like size and offset) as the PS3 doesn't accept soft-subs for streamed media. Obviously subtitle manipulation is not available for hardcoded subs.
NovaPhoenix wrote:5) Since I am ripping the movies as is, will I definitely need a gigabit network for streaming of the 1080p Blurays with their HD audio?
For many scenes probably not, but having the available bandwidth will help take some of the pressure off the CPU while transcoding.
NovaPhoenix wrote:6) My modem/router (Netcomm NB6Plus4 wired) mentions nothing about gigabit speeds, so will it be a bottleneck and therefore need to be changed? Naturally I'd be using CAT6 cables.
Yes, you will need a new router if you want a gigabit network.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Many questions from a newb

Postby Stryker412 » Sat May 30, 2009 2:38 pm

How can I burn forced subtitles into an mkv? I use ripbot to make mine. It's hard to determine which subtitle track is the forced one. I'd like to rip my copy of Black Hawk Down but will need forced sub support.
Stryker412

Return to General Help and Support