Hi all. I've got plans to stream ripped DVDs and Blurays to my PS3 via a gigabit NAS in the near future. The DVD and Blurays, for the most part, would just be the main movie and best audio.
I just need to know some things first...
1) Is it possible to setup the program so it just streams and doesn't transcode?
2) Will any renaming of the VOB/M2TS (DVD/BRD respectively) files have to be done before the PS3 will recognize them?
3) For certain films that have forced subtitles (The Last Samurai, Die Hard 4, the Star Wars films), and ones that are optional but needed (Volcano High - Japanese audio w/Ennglish subs), what can I do to ensure those subs are displayed?
4) For "Dragon Wars" (BRD) and the Star Wars films, these have forced subs that are somewhat in the lower black bar. I like to use my Plasma's function to crop those bars out, but this cuts the forced subs in half, or hides them completely. Is there any way I can relocate the subs for these films so that the TV cropping won't cut/hide them? Preferably without re-encoding the entire xx.xx GB film.
5) Since I am ripping the movies as is, will I definitely need a gigabit network for streaming of the 1080p Blurays with their HD audio?
6) My modem/router (Netcomm NB6Plus4 wired) mentions nothing about gigabit speeds, so will it be a bottleneck and therefore need to be changed? Naturally I'd be using CAT6 cables.
If this all works out, I'd have a NAS with all my movies easily accessible.