Transfer files back to your PC from the PS3 -can it be done?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Transfer files back to your PC from the PS3 -can it be done?

Postby evo007 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:22 am

Gday all,

I would like help in knowing that once you have transcoded a large movie (MKV file), say 8gig (or any size over 4gig)- with the media server to your PS3 and then you have watched the movie and would like to transfer the transcoded version back to your PC for storage, is there a way to do this with Media Server or another piece of software?

I obviously cant do it using a USB stick or external HD as the PS3 can only read them in FAT32 yes? And with FAT32 you cannot handle files larger than 4gig yes?

Appreciate people's help!

Cheers
evo007

Re: Transfer files back to your PC from the PS3 -can it be done?

Postby TheLlama » Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 am

No, transcoding is done on the PC, on the fly and its stored as temporary (meaning it's overwritten)
It sounds like you need to find something to do re-encoding of the MKV down to something more manageable and supported by the PS3.
I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
--Capt. Tenille
TheLlama

Postby Blade_Beam » Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 am

I'm not sure if it can be done, but you can try. With version 1.10.5, Shagrath added the ability to copy the file to your PS3's harddrive, so it is transcoded for you when you're saving it, but I don't know that would transfer back over to the PC. You are right in saying that FAT32 cannot support files larger than roughly 4 gigabytes, so if you have a large file, you won't be able to get it off of the PS3. It seems like you want use the PS3 media server as a format converter to get some MKVs into mpegs, is that correct? If that is what you are trying to do, I know there are some programs out there that can do format converting that would be more effective to use in that case. For something like that, you could try MkvMagic at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvmagic/ I've never used it before, but it would be worth a shot if that is your goal.
Blade_Beam

Postby evo007 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:29 am

TheLlama wrote:No, transcoding is done on the PC, on the fly and its stored as temporary (meaning it's overwritten)
It sounds like you need to find something to do re-encoding of the MKV down to something more manageable and supported by the PS3.

Thanx for the reply buddy, but i transcode/copy my movies over to the PS3 HD as i prefer to play the movies directly from there, not on the fly from the PC. All the movies i have done are perfect/manageable/watchable, so definitely dont need anything else "more manageable and supported by the PS3".

i just want to know yes or no whether it can be done? will wait for some more feedback. thanx.
evo007

Postby evo007 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:34 am

Blade_Beam wrote:I'm not sure if it can be done, but you can try. With version 1.10.5, Shagrath added the ability to copy the file to your PS3's harddrive, so it is transcoded for you when you're saving it, but I don't know that would transfer back over to the PC. You are right in saying that FAT32 cannot support files larger than roughly 4 gigabytes, so if you have a large file, you won't be able to get it off of the PS3. It seems like you want use the PS3 media server as a format converter to get some MKVs into mpegs, is that correct? If that is what you are trying to do, I know there are some programs out there that can do format converting that would be more effective to use in that case. For something like that, you could try MkvMagic at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvmagic/ I've never used it before, but it would be worth a shot if that is your goal.

Thanx for the reply mate. Yeah i use MKV2VOB for any MKV files under 4gig and convert them to PS3 format and then copy them over, otherwise i mostly use the media server to do the transcode-copy if it is a larger file or one that i cant figure out the exact conversion requirements.
evo007

Postby evo007 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:35 am

can anyone else offer some advice please?

thanks
evo007

Postby ExSport » Fri May 29, 2009 6:49 am

PS3 is upnp client not server so copy to PC directly from PS3 is impossible.
ExSport

Postby evo007 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:42 am

ExSport wrote:PS3 is upnp client not server so copy to PC directly from PS3 is impossible.

thanks for replying buddy, at least i have the answer now! Cheers
evo007

Return to General Help and Support