WMV's incompatible?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

WMV's incompatible?

Postby Electrifying » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:22 am

After upgrading the PS3's firmware to 2.60, all of (HD) WMV files suddenly show as incompatible data. I am able to watch them through a transcode but that is not the way I would like to go seeming the PS3 supports the format natively, at least it did before 2.60. Nothing else was changed the day that it happened except for the FW upgrade. So is it possible the FW has broken WMV playback? I am wondering if more people experience the same issues.

I read through the forum and found a post that had the same problem but with MKV instead. So I did what was suggested in that Thread; Changing the Port to another port. Unfortunately the problem still remains though. So does anyone have a possible solution? It is to bad that it has to affect WMV since my HD collection are mostly WMV files and a few MKVs. :(
Electrifying

Re: WMV's incompatible?

Postby ExSport » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:36 am

"Bug" introduced in v1.03 not in v2.60 fw ;)
Shagrath used another mime type for WMV but PS3 don't like them...
ExSport

Re: WMV's incompatible?

Postby Electrifying » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:03 am

Phew, thanks for the answer :P
I was already afraid my I wasn't going to play WMV's natively anymore. The weird thing is though that the problem surfaced after the update to fw 2.60. With fw 2.53 I was also running PMS 1.03 and I didn't have any problems back then (except for the horrible FW 2.50 "stutter feature" and the streaming PC and PS3 both on Wireless G. But I just cabled them both over the weekend :P ).
Electrifying

Return to General Help and Support