No smooth video @1080, cpu performance? / network?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

No smooth video @1080, cpu performance? / network?

Postby atari_ckx » Wed May 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi friends, I'm using this excellent piece of software for a while, but it's now when I've several 1080p movies to enjoy (MKV, mainly), previously I had a CPU Q6600, Motherboard ASUS P5QC, 3GB RAM, and Windows XP, and it worked fine ... but now I "upgraded" to Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits and increased the memory to 6GBs; but the video doesn't plays smoothly, I mean, the video starts, and 4-5 mins later, the 'gets stucked' playing some scenes well and other bad (not a fluid, continuous play, as 'jumping' instead ... if I pause it and play again, it plays fine ... for another 4-5 mins ... and so on.

I just installed the PS3 Media server (Current/last version), with no additional codecs ...

I don't know what to do to solve this -annoying- situation ... This is my Hobby and now, when I thought I could enjoy some fine HD movies, have this problem ... How can I know what's going on? It's the CPU that doesn't have enough power to decode a 1080p movie? (I saw about 20 movies when I had XP ... but I need to have Vista because I've some programs who needs it)? Or it's the network? (Wired, 100mbps)?

My Video card (I don't know if this matters in this case ... I use the PS3 Media Server to stream video, not plays it locally ;-) it's a 9600GT with 512MB.

Any Idea will be welcome,
Thanks,
ATARI
atari_ckx

Re: No smooth video @1080, cpu performance? / network?

Postby TheLlama » Thu May 28, 2009 12:57 am

Sounds like Vista's being Vista and hogging more resources than XP did.
Maybe check out the debug.log and watch Task Manager while the stuttering is happening....
I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
--Capt. Tenille
TheLlama

Postby Blade_Beam » Thu May 28, 2009 1:34 am

It may be your network. I've had some similar problems and I am running Windows Vista 32-bit Ultimate and I have trouble playing 1080p movies, but from what I've found is that my network is causing the problem. Often times 100 mbs is plenty fast for 1080p, but depending on how your network is set up, you may have a bottom-neck somewhere. I have a gigabit adapter in my PC, but the problem is I don't have a cat 6 cable connected to it and my router is not gigabit capable, so if I try to stream 1080p movies, often times the bit rate spikes to what technically is above my network capability. I'm sure if i got a gigabit switch and connected a cat 6 cable, it would show that my 100 mbs network is plenty fast enough.

I would be curious as to how your network is set up because technically, if you are using a router, you are splitting your network speed in half to roughly 50 mbs because of the way a router works, and it may be that Vista is being a memory hog. But from what you are telling us, it seems to me that your computer is not transcoding the file fast enough. Try watching the buffer when watching a movie and see if it decreases to close to zero any time when the stuttering starts, if that's the case, you may need to check your settings or let the movie stay paused for awhile until the buffer fills some more which would allow you a smoother play back.
Blade_Beam

Postby atari_ckx » Thu May 28, 2009 1:54 am

Okay, thanks for your suggestions, I'll try to do that. I've the PC (Server) connected (wired) to a Link DIR-655, and using a 50' long cat5 wire to a Encore 8 ports 100 mbps switch, and from the Encore, a wire (a standard patch cord) to the PS3. Of course, perhaps is the network, but using the same network I was able to see several (20?) 1080p movies, with the -almost- same PC, except the memory increase and the Vista installation ...

I'll try your suggestions and post the results.

Thanks again,
ATARI
atari_ckx

Postby atari_ckx » Fri May 29, 2009 7:42 pm

Sorry, I don't know a way to meter the network performance bewteen PS3 and PC, if I copy a file (1GB) and measures it, would this be a reliable measure, or a least an indicator of network speed?

ATARI
atari_ckx

Postby Topguy » Sat May 30, 2009 12:04 am

atari_ckx wrote:Sorry, I don't know a way to meter the network performance bewteen PS3 and PC, if I copy a file (1GB) and measures it, would this be a reliable measure, or a least an indicator of network speed?
ATARI

Yes it would.. if I remember correctly my similar experiment in another thread here on the forum:
* 350MB Xvid/avi file copied without any transcoding of course.
* Used 46 seconds which gave me an average aprox. bandwidth of 60mbps.
Topguy

Postby rozel » Sat May 30, 2009 1:16 am

Blade_Beam wrote:but the problem is I don't have a cat 6 cable connected to it

Not exactly sure what you mean here...........

AFAIK Cat5e cable (or Enhanced Cat5 cable) should support enough bandwidth to stream 1080P movies, provided your Router and NIC support 1Gbps - 300Kbps at least which is more than enough for 1080P playback and I think I'm right in saying that the PS3 will only support up to 300Kbps anyway.

That was what I was told anyway, so I don't think you need Cat6 cables. And I'm sure I'm right in saying that depending on the quality of the Cat5e cables, they should support a 1Gbps throughput also.

But then again I'm no expert and maybe someone can cut through this cable stuff for us as there seems a lot of contradictory info out there.

roz
rozel

Postby bonfiredb » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:30 am

Cat5e cable is capable of supporting Gigabit speeds. The confusion stems from the difference between Cat5e and Cat6.
They are fundamentally very similar; Cat6 is better shielded against electromagnetic interference and crosstalk between wires in the cable. This is important in corporate environments where all sorts of other things can mess with the signal (HVAC systems, large numbers of Ethernet cables near each other).
Cat6 cable, while nice if you can get it, is more important over a long distance (say, 75-150 feet), but even then Cat5e is usually fine.
If you were to compare Cat5e speeds over 75 feet compared to Cat6 on a fully Gigabit connection, you might find Cat6 maintains 950-1000mbit while Cat5e stays around 900-975mbit. Barely any real-world difference at all, and those numbers are anecdotal anyway.

I also want to point out a previous poster who mentioned using a router or switch would halve the signal speed in both directions. That is incorrect as full-duplex switching is standard in every router/switch for the last ten years and allows for full speed simultaneous transmission between devices.
bonfiredb

Postby psebos » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:34 am

since when you are pausing it is playing fine for 4-5 minutes, it seems to me that it is the cpu not the network.
Check the buffer when you play the movie on the media server. If the buffer is empty (almost empty),
then it is your cpu (cannot process fast enough).

If this is the case try to use alternative codecs: Avisynth with CoreAVC (which supports 9600GT) as described in the readme

On the 64 bit. It does not make any difference whether you have 32bit or 64bit operating system. Your applications need
to be compiled for 64bit which it is not the case here.

Another option (assuming you do not need subtitles) is to use tsMuxer (check out the trancode folder when you access it from your PS3). Performance wise it is really fast.

Please send more information what type of codecs you are using and whether you are using subtitles etc.
psebos

Postby atari_ckx » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:46 am

Hi Folks, I'm sorry not answering so fast, was out of town. Okay, looks like I solved the problem ... thanks very much all of you!! 8-)

What I did? Tested the network speed, according with topguy's figures my network was fine (speedier than him :lol: ) ... if I played the 1080p movie locally (using VLC and KMP players) the movie ran smoothly, so, I thought wasn't CPU ... I installed the FFdshow and the Haaly codecs (Lastest ones, downloaded directly from their web site), and changed the keyint from 1 to 25 [No notticeable picture change]) ... and voilá ... is working!!

Still I can't have a final word... but I tested with the -excellent- Baraka Documentary and at first it sttutered every 5 mins, making very hard to see ... after the changes, I played it for 30 mins, and only showed sttutering for 1 or 2 scenes (and only for a couple of seconds), showed at -demanding- Monkey dance, were lot of people are dancing at the same time.

Again, thanks. I can now keep enjoying my Movie collection. Still don't know if the problem was solved changed the keyint value, the codecs or both, but I hope someone else can solve his/her problems with this tip.

ATARI
atari_ckx

Return to General Help and Support