Subtitles Help

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Subtitles Help

Postby Sinow » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi!

I just got PS3 Media Server installed and got it to work correctly, but I have problem to get the subtitles to work.
And I have googled it and check here on the forum but can't find any simple solution.

When a stream a video, and when a press on subtitle option it says "no subtitles found" or something like that.

So can someone give me a simple solution, link or a guide that would be great:D

PS3 Media Server, best media server program btw;)
F**K Tversity!
Sinow

Re: Subtitles Help

Postby frank_jarle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:46 pm

Looking for same setup as you. Got a rip of my DVD to a VOB, saved two subtitle languages, but when trying to select subtitle i get same msg as you. would like if someone could give a some ideas what to do.

Frank
frank_jarle

Postby shagrath » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:49 pm

ps3 does not support embedded subtitles, that's why I made this server in the first place
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Sinow » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:48 am

ps3 does not support embedded subtitles, that's why I made this server in the first place

Ye I know, and thats why I'm asking how to get it to work on PS3 Media Server;)
Sinow

Postby caf » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:16 pm

I have a similar problem.

I have an ISO image of a DVD. The ISO image was “build” with several subtitles.

When I press the “Subtitles” button on the PS3 remote I get the “No Subtitles available” message.

Questions:
Can we have ( can we see ) subtitles on DVD ISOs using this software ?
If YES can someone explain how to do it ?

Thanks
Carlos
caf

Postby ExSport » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:17 pm

shagrath wrote:ps3 does not support embedded subtitles, that's why I made this server in the first place

To Caf: Did you read this or million of other posts in this forum?
When you stream or play from XMB video file(with embedded subtitles,chapters,etc...), PS3 ignores this information!!!!
In other words subtitles and chapters are supported only when you burn it to medium and insert it to PS3(same way as DTS audio)
If you need subtitles, PMS burn(encode) them to VIDEO picture directly so you can't use subtitle button but #Transcode# folder ;)
ExSport

Postby caf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:40 pm

ExSport wrote:
shagrath wrote:ps3 does not support embedded subtitles, that's why I made this server in the first place

To Caf: Did you read this or million of other posts in this forum?

I have tried 3 to 5 million :?

ExSport wrote:

... but #Transcode# folder ;)

Thanks .. It works just fine.

Thanks to the developers.
Caf
caf

Postby frank_jarle » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 pm

I dont really see how the #Transcoded# will help here.

DVD is converted by DVD Decrypter, with english audio and english and norwegian subtitle. As i understand your suggestion i should go to the #Transcoded# folder and choose the file from there, which i did.

Both files in there "TsMuxed" and "MEncoded" turned out with the same msg, no subtitle option available.

Running the same vob file through VLC and selecting subtitle track 1 gives me english subtitle, but to me it seems i have either the wrong settings, or i need to convert my DVD in another way or PMS is not running well on my XP64.

I would really appreciate if someone can just tell plain and simple what they are doing to get the subtitle up and running, which program used to rip/conver the DVDs and to what file it was saved (VOB, MKV, TS etc).

Frank
Attachments
TsMuxer_settings.JPG
TsMuxer_settings.JPG (68.51 KiB) Viewed 8317 times
MEncoder_settings.JPG
MEncoder_settings.JPG (126.78 KiB) Viewed 8317 times
frank_jarle

Postby shagrath » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:03 pm

frank_jarle wrote:Both files in there "TsMuxed" and "MEncoded" turned out with the same msg, no subtitle option available.

Sony has disabled this option with DLNA (except for XSUB). period.

I guess you have put "nor" in the subtitles priority ? try "nor,no"...
dvd language code are 2 characters long, not 3
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ExSport » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:45 pm

You can't use subtitle button because as Shagrath said, PS3 don't support subtitles when streamed.
If you need subtitles, you need go to TRANSCODED folder where you have option which audio and subtitles to play. Not possible to use audio/subtitle button on PS3 remote but you need to choose only one combination from list.
If you do it, PMS will transcode video picture and burn subtitles to it. It means SUBTITLE button will not help you ;)
Also if you need set combination of audio/subtiltes: en,on,nor,on is incorrect!
An Example:
You are from norway, your second language is english. So your priority is NOR audio without subtitles. If NOR audio not present, then ENG audio, NOR subtitles, if NOR subtitles not present, then ENG audio and ENG subtitles. If ENG nor NOR subtitles present, you need to disable subtitles. If ENG and also NOR audio and subtitles not present, then play any audio without subtitles.
Now see correct one but beware that DVD language tags are 2chars instead of MKV idlang which are 3chars. So best priority line will be:
no,off;nor,off;en,no;eng,nor;en,en;eng,eng;en,off;eng,off;*,off
Don't know if "NO" and "NOR" are correct lang tags for your country but hope it is clear how to create AUDIO/SUBTITLES priorities.
Question to Shagrath:
When Haali format is written in line for AUDIO/VIDEO priorities, what about separate AUDIO and SUBTITLES priority lines? What is its purpose when Haali format is used?
I deleted them for sure and left only Haali AUDIO/VIDEO line and it is working fine:-) But I am not sure if in some situations empty audio and video priority lines will not mess my Haali priority settings...
Thnaks
ExSport

Next

Return to General Help and Support