1080p stuttering - Comtrend Powerlines

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

1080p stuttering - Comtrend Powerlines

Postby McHaggis69 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Using Media Server 1.10.51

PC is an Intel Quad Core 9550 with 6Gb RAM running vista 64
Network Adaptor is Intel Gigabit

Problem Description -
I have 2 PS3's one of which stands next to my PC and is connected to the network via cat5 cable directly into my router. All movies stream perfectly well to it.

(BTW, media server is not transcoding the movies as they are all in mp4 ps3 compatible format - all its doing is streaming them)

My 2nd PS3 is in the living room and is networked via Comtrend 200Mbps Powerline Adaptors.
Its the 2nd PS3 giving the problems - 1080p movies stutter *terribly badly*.

You can see from the setup, that the same movie stream perfectly to the PS3 directly connected to the network but stutter over the Powerline adaptors, hence the problem is the powerline adaptors.
I need some advice on how to fix the problem.
When movies are stuttering, my powerline adaptors 'green' light changes to orange or sometimes red indicating a problem. My network connection on task manager shows about 10% avergae throughput when I'm streaming a movie. 720p movies are generally ok.

These adaptors are advertised as coping with up to 200Mbps and HD movies, so why can't mine cope? I swear the problem is worse now than it ever was before - 1080p movies stutter every few seconds all the way through.
Any advice? (the powerline adaptors are plugged straight into the wall and not via extension or surge protected sockets).
McHaggis69

Re: 1080p stuttering - Comtrend Powerlines

Postby McHaggis69 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:21 am

Just thought I'd add that when I disconnect the comtrends and use a wireless connection, the stuttering isn't any worse, in fact it might even be marginally better - how can that be?
McHaggis69

Postby shagrath » Sun May 24, 2009 12:56 pm

wifi is "advertised" as 54 Mbps... the real values are more between 10 and 15... besides Homeplugs bitrate depends on the electric installation...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby meskibob » Sun May 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Are the homeplugs not on the same circuit? Passing through a breaker really impedes their performance.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby HKG » Mon May 25, 2009 2:43 am

I had the same problem with powerline adaptors (Panasonic). I replaced those with a Cat 5e cable and streaming has been flawless for 1080p m2ts blueray rips (no compression). I think most powerline adaptors have an advertised throughput that is purely theoretical and I would imagine that the circuitry within your house could affect throughput as well.
HKG

Return to General Help and Support