Stay connected

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Stay connected

Postby Kazz » Sat May 23, 2009 5:06 pm

I keep having to come upstairs and reset PSM everytime I turn my PS3 on, is there a way to make it auto detect the media server, so I can just turn on the PS3 and stay put lol.??
Kazz

Re: Stay connected

Postby jebise101 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:41 pm

what OS are you running? did you try to search for a media server on the ps3 ?
jebise101

Postby meskibob » Sat May 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Check that your router has multicast enabled (PS3 sends out an M-Search when it's turned on) and that your PC's firewall accepts incoming requests from the PS3's IP.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Kazz » Mon May 25, 2009 11:48 am

How do I enable Multicast? there is no mention of this word on my Netgear router settings anywhere.

When you PS3 is off I get the big red circle on PSM application, which is as expected lol, but when the PS3 is powered on, the app just stays there in red and does nothing or no attempt to connect, all ports are forwarded, the only way it will work is if I come upstairs, completely quit PSM, and restart it, in otherwords, it is only picking up my PS3 on program startup, the rest of the time it does nothing.

When it does detect the PS3 it works perfectly.

Strangely though, when the PS3 is turned on I ALWAYS get a DNS error, and it wont sign me into PSN, again until I reboot PSM application, could PSM and PSN be conflicting somehow?
Kazz

Postby chrissiecool » Mon May 25, 2009 11:53 am

go to video settings folder and restart the http server that way and you won't have to run downstairs all the time
chrissiecool

Postby Kazz » Mon May 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Hey CC :-)

Do you mean Transcoding settings? the only place I can see restart HTTP settings is top centre of the program, and that area is greyed out.
Kazz

Postby chrissiecool » Mon May 25, 2009 12:09 pm

Hiya Kazz :D well i think what i suggested won't work as you have to be able to see the media server, you browse the video folder on the ps3 itself and there is a folder called video settings and you can restart the http server from there, if you can't see it make sure Hide video settings folder is not ticked under PS3 media server navigation/share settings
chrissiecool

Postby Kazz » Mon May 25, 2009 12:20 pm

It's being really weird, previously it all worked flawlessly, perfect in fact, but I had to buy a new PC.....I installed PSM on XP, and it all connected fine, one thing I did differantly this time is I installed it as a windows service aswell, not sure why I did that, as after I did it, I remembered I never did this previously and all worked fine, could this be to blame??

Whats happening now is this:

I see the PSM on my PS3, but only after a manual reboot of the program, if PSM is not showing on the PS3 then it signs me into the Playstation Network, if PSM is on the PS3, then as soon as I power up the PS3 I get a DNS error, and I have to manually sign in tp PSN, the first sign in fails with another DNS error, and then a second attempt works fine, and I have a connection to PSM and PSN no problem, after a few hours the PSN connection drops out, with another DNS error (always the same error).

Im running a NETGEAR router, and all ports forwarded in that and Windows Firewall. I have uninstalled the PSM app and reinstalled with same issues.

By the way the error is always DNS error 80710102

My PS3 is wired to the router, not wireless.
Kazz

Postby chrissiecool » Mon May 25, 2009 12:42 pm

to remove the service

Click Start | Run and type regedit in the Open: line. Click OK.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Scroll down the left pane, locate the service name, right click it and select Delete.

Reboot the system
chrissiecool

Postby Kazz » Mon May 25, 2009 2:43 pm

Its detecting the PSM all the time now, so thanks for that, my other issue is PSN wont connect it keeps throwing that error out, if I disable PSM then PSN connects, or if I reboot my PS3 2 - 3 times then PSN connect, any ideas anyone? I know thats not really PSM related but you never know lol.
Kazz

Next

Return to General Help and Support