Transcoding help

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Transcoding help

Postby unkyjoe » Fri May 22, 2009 1:16 pm

First off kudos to the developer, I have been waiting for months for a program other than Tiversity to stream media to my PS3.

If any of you have used XBOX media center on a hacked Xbox knows how easy this has been for years.

Here is the problem I am having.

I currently have my DVD collection ripped into folders on my network server as VOB files, I in fact do a rip of the entire disc with menus and all. So within a folder their are the audio and video_ts subfolders, the dvd files are then vob1 vob2 etc, split at the 1gb mark.

I have searched through this forum and found a few articles concerning this issue but with no definative answer, no matter what I try I cant stop the DVD's from being transcoded.

Problem is when the DVD video is transcoded, you are unable to FF-RW with much success etc, my recorded TV from Sage Media Center "mpg2 files" works fine without transcoding, I am able to FF-RW etc with no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How about this setting?

- click on that "expert settings" button in mencoder config panel
- add in the custom parameters area the exact following:

container == iso && vcodec == mpeg2 && srtfile == null :: -ovc copy -nosyncshagrath
unkyjoe

Re: Transcoding help

Postby unkyjoe » Fri May 22, 2009 9:12 pm

So I have searched high and low for an answer to this question.

I have tried all of the recommendations on this board and a few others, no matter what I try, PSMS insists on transcoding the VOB files.

I tried installing the mac version as I have a dual core mac, and it runs for about 5 minutes and then gives a java error.

I installed TVersity and it works like a charm, no transcoding on the VOB files, but no thumbnail gen, no combining of multiple vob files etc.

So if anyone can guide me on turning off transcoding for VOB files it would be greatly appreciated :D

If not, I will stick with Tiversity for now, or play my DVD's by placing a dvd in the drive.
unkyjoe

Postby meskibob » Fri May 22, 2009 9:14 pm

If your only issue with Transcoding is the lack of response during FF/RW, then try using the Go To function available in the PS3's control panel.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby unkyjoe » Fri May 22, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks for the input, my issue is transcoding, and I am speaking of transcoding not muxing, to be clear.

I have been experimenting with trying to get the transcoding turned off and in so doing I actually turned off the Mencoder and moved the muxer up in priority. I saved the settings, restarted the webserver, quit the program and re-launched it.

I went back and made sure the Mencoder was still disabled, it was. Then I started playing a ripped dvd with multiple vob files.

Funny thing is, even though the Mencoder is disabled, when opening the VOB file on the ps3, it shows mencoder as the default player on the screen even though it is turned off on the server. Meanwhile on the server the buffer begins to fill, slowly with a few pauses while it is filling.

Let me give you an idea of my setup.

Main Server 'where all files are stored"

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT processor
2 TB of storage on SATA drives, formatted to 64k clusters serving the media., music, video etc to the whole house using SageTV and thier media extenders.

The PS3 Server:

Pentium 4 2.6ghz 1 gb ram
No other programs running

Network is hardwired with a netgear level 3 managed switch.

This might give someone a little more insight into the problem, if iit is actually a problem now that mencoder is turned off.
unkyjoe

Return to General Help and Support