How to set up PMS?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

How to set up PMS?

Postby j2048b » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:10 pm

Love the program, just not sure at all on how to set it up?

I have:
dell dimension 9100
2 gb ram
pentium d cpu dual processor
lg blue ray/hd-dvd reader/dvd writer/cd writer
1 tb external wd
1 internal wd 500gig
ps3 160 gig (newest edition)
verizon wirless westell versalink 327w
run zonealarm internet security
Playon also runs

Just wanting a basic newbee set up?

I do not know what all this means: keyint=5;vqscale=3;vqmin=5 and so on ?

i know it is how you set up one of the encoders, but not sure what any of it means at all?

Just wondering what each thing means under the tsmuxer section is either? (example: force fps parsed from ffmpeg in the meta file?)

wtf does any of that mean?

all help appreciated!!

J2048b
j2048b

Re: How to set up PMS?

Postby Joksi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:46 pm

The default configuration is done to work good on a wide amount of systems.
Just add your media folders, and start streaming :) (choose the transcoder working best for you)
If you have problems with compatibility, MEncoder will be the best option.
The keyint values have some predefined profiles in the drop down list, change to a lower quality profile if you have performance issues.
tsmuxer can also be used instead of Mencoder on older systems, putting much less load on the cpu.
Joksi

Postby j2048b » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Joksi wrote:The default configuration is done to work good on a wide amount of systems.
Just add your media folders, and start streaming :) (choose the transcoder working best for you)
If you have problems with compatibility, MEncoder will be the best option.
The keyint values have some predefined profiles in the drop down list, change to a lower quality profile if you have performance issues.
tsmuxer can also be used instead of Mencoder on older systems, putting much less load on the cpu.

joksi,
thanks for the reply,
for some reason all my videos now show up as avc and are considered corrupted data and will not play in the newest version, but the older 1.0 everything shows up as mpeg-2 and plays very well...
any suggestions as to what it could be?

another thing is i do not know how to set up all the extra crap in the program as explained above, and the video settings while in the ps3 from pms do not know if they need to be enabled or not ( deinterlace, avc alternative, force subs, and skiping the loop filter deblocking for h264) what do those do anyways?
j2048b

Postby Joksi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Sorry, i dont know why your experiencing that problem.

I think A/V sync alternative method should be enabled (is by default). If you have sync problems try disabling it.
Force subs is to, just like it states, force suibtitles.
Skip loop filter will give you better quality of h264, but more CPU load.
Joksi

Postby ExSport » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:33 pm

j2048b wrote:another thing is i do not know how to set up all the extra crap in the program as explained above, and the video settings while in the ps3 from pms do not know if they need to be enabled or not ( deinterlace, avc alternative, force subs, and skiping the loop filter deblocking for h264) what do those do anyways?

GOOGLE is your answer for all of these options ;)
In short:
- deinterlace removes interlacing, odd/even lines of video are switched between each other 25times in one second(for 25fps), deinterlace will calculate missing lines so you see 25 full pictures in a second = higher quality and smoother playback. But loss of quality if video is progressive and not interlaced ;)
- A/V sync alternative as Joksi said tries with another method to sync audio with video
- force subs is self-explaining
- skip loop filter deblocking - if you have dual core, disable(=don't skip) it for better video quality(only relevant for H264 HD video)
- keyint=5;vqscale=3;vqmin=5 ==> try google what these parameters do in mencoder 8-)
- force fps parsed from ffmpeg in the meta file - self-explaining, will force fps which detects ffmpeg. Some videos have no fps info in header or it is faked (when audio is 25fps and video 23.976), so ffmpeg info is used. Sometimes it will fix synchonization or data not supported but in many cases it have no effect at all.
ExSport

Postby Joksi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:39 pm

With other words, you can skip the deinterlace filter option if what your watching is mainly movies or some tv episodes in HD. All of these are filmed/broadcasted progressive (what "p" stands for) if the movie is a rip from ie Blueray, or if the tv episode is broadcasted by ie cable at 720p. Some broadcast at 1080i (interlaced) and then it could improve to use the filter, or if you watch other SD TV-recorded material.
Joksi

Postby j2048b » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Joksi wrote:Sorry, i dont know why your experiencing that problem.

I think A/V sync alternative method should be enabled (is by default). If you have sync problems try disabling it.
Force subs is to, just like it states, force suibtitles.

thanks a huge amount joksi!

it all makes sense to me!:)
j2048b

Postby shagrath » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:44 pm

actually it's the opposite :)
skiploopfilter is not recommended, unless you have a crappy machine and want 720p nonetheless
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby j2048b » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:47 pm

GOOGLE is your answer for all of these options ;)
In short:
- deinterlace removes interlacing, odd/even lines of video are switched between each other 25times in one second(for 25fps), deinterlace will calculate missing lines so you see 25 full pictures in a second = higher quality and smoother playback. But loss of quality if video is progressive and not interlaced ;)
- A/V sync alternative as Joksi said tries with another method to sync audio with video
- force subs is self-explaining
- skip loop filter deblocking - if you have dual core, disable(=don't skip) it for better video quality(only relevant for H264 HD video)
- keyint=5;vqscale=3;vqmin=5 ==> try google what these parameters do in mencoder 8-)
- force fps parsed from ffmpeg in the meta file - self-explaining, will force fps which detects ffmpeg. Some videos have no fps info in header or it is faked (when audio is 25fps and video 23.976), so ffmpeg info is used. Sometimes it will fix synchonization or data not supported but in many cases it have no effect at all.[/quote]

very weird that we are on a db about PMS and i get a response that google is where i should find my answers. I know i can look there but this stuff to me is VERY CONFUSING, SO WHY NOT GO TO THE SOURCE OF PEOPLE WHO ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DO THIS STUFF?

I only ask these questions here due to the fact that you guys (most of you) already understand this stuff and ,ight be able to give us an answer in laymans terms in the DB made for the program we are all using.

Thanks for the knowledge you have helpt me obtain... everything you have said is great info for someone who gets easialy confused with all this stuff.
Last edited by j2048b on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j2048b

Postby Joksi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:47 pm

Just a typo..
Joksi

Next

Return to General Help and Support