Command line output

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Command line output

Postby Marc67 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi folks,

maybe someone could help me, either with an answer, an idea or just the link or number of an existing posting.

My company generates lots of video content, in different formats (mostly DVD or HD). For presentation purposes we bought a PS3.
Now, the idea is streaming from the network directly to the PS3, normally together with tanscoding. My boss installed Media Server, did some testing, and it worked fine apart from a few exceptions.
So, isn't it possible to write a script / batch file in order to automatize this process? Of course, I could hack all those coding commands directly into the keyboard, but that's what Media Server is for.
Now, what I'm looking for is a possibility to see (and reuse) the scripting output Media Server does behind its curtains. That would spare me lots of testing with encoders, decoders, muxers, demuxers and their correct order.
Did I mention that I've heard of Media Server just a few hours ago? So I'm a total newbie to that issue.

But no hurry at all: I'm on vacation till end of weekend. Monday I will be happy in (hopefully) finding some piece of advice.
If you need any further background information, I'm glad giving it to you.
Thanks a lot! :)
Marc67

Re: Command line output

Postby meskibob » Tue May 19, 2009 7:04 pm

Well, I have no insight about scripting what PMS does, but I do have a suggestion which could remove that need all together: Transcode everything. This can be further streamlined by adding all of your different extensions to the "Force transcode for the following extensions..." setting under the Common Transcode settings. Doing so will remove the extra steps of going into the #Transcode# folder and choosing which engine you want to use.
If this doesn't fit your needs, maybe some more explanation about what you're looking for (specifically those exceptions where it didn't work) would be helpful to see if this could still be done with the current program or with a simple modification.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Command line output

Postby Marc67 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:40 am

@meskibob
Thanks for your input.
Yes, transcoding will be our choice. But (unfortunately) I'll have to do it "by hand". My boss wants us to avoid using PMS, instead doing it with a selfwritten script, using the command line parameters of the encoders /muxers etc. I'm not happy, because I haven't done that for years. Primarily I have to find a setting that will attach a looped audio track correctly. Yet it only comes with a crack after each repetition (which is *not* within the track). Whats most annoying is the fact that I don't have any further information. Well, I will find something.

Thanks again for your help.
If anyone has any hint for that scripting task of mine, I will be very grateful, although it's not exactly connected to PMS.
Marc67

Return to General Help and Support