PSM as Service

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PSM as Service

Postby jebise101 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:20 pm

I have PSM running as a service and rarely use the GUI. But i have noticed if i make a change in GUI and restart the server and then restart the Service via computer management. the setting are not saved to the service and they are set to there defaults. I have also noticed that if it running as a service and you open the GUI the GUI will say no ps3 found yet the service and the ps3 will work just fine.

It's like running 2 different PSM instants on the same machine, i though running it as a service is so that it more convenient for people and would assume that the whatever was changed in rthe GUI would be changed with the service
jebise101

Re: PSM as Service

Postby D-Kalck » Mon May 18, 2009 7:36 pm

That's why there should be an icon in the system tray, when I use XP with PMS running as a service, the icon appear in the system tray, and this way I can change settings with the GUI.
D-Kalck

Postby saiga6360 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Or you can write a simple batch file that will stop the service, open the GUI, and after you close, starts the service again. I should have thought of this sooner but I got used to the way it works now because I hardly make any changes to the GUI. Will try it when I get home.
saiga6360

Postby jebise101 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:03 am

it could be that fact that im using the new builds, i hate it working at some point when i started using psm. But then i installed the newer build which may have messed things up. i know for sure 630 gave me problems i had 625 and still had the service issue but it is not that bad after playing with it and opening the gui and restarting the service fixed the issue a few times. Now i have the 1.20 beta and having a few different issues.
jebise101

Postby FullMoon » Fri May 22, 2009 3:40 pm

I am having lots of problems with this. It works fine when not running as a service. But when it is running as a service it never figures out the folders that I want to share out. It wants to share out my whole darn computer :shock: They need to fix this.
FullMoon

Postby jebise101 » Fri May 22, 2009 4:38 pm

yeah i had that to i just kept reinstalling and it worked, what im thinking is that for OS like vista you have to the the gui in admin mode to get it to work and so that it cahges the settings too.
jebise101

Postby FullMoon » Sun May 24, 2009 10:07 pm

Ok Folks I found something. Windows was putting my PMS.conf file in C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\PMS.
I had to copy this file into the main PS3 Media Server folder for the PMS service to find it. :D Hope this helps.
FullMoon

Postby jebise101 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:08 pm

nice find, but my psm.conf is in the program files\ps3 media server. I also went to look for it in appdata and did not find it
jebise101

Postby ExSport » Tue May 26, 2009 12:42 pm

Roaming folder is used only when PMS have not write access where is installed itself(mainly Vista/Win 7/Server2008) so it writes it to user profile.
But when user installs application and there is checked "Start PMS after install finshed", PMS is started in more powerfull mode(Vista and newer) so PMS.CONF will be written to installed directory where application doesn't have write access rights(only first time because installation process force more permissions for this process). Maybe because that PMS.conf file is not updated :)
ExSport

Postby jebise101 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:31 am

makes seance would you recommend a reinstall? and not run PSM after the install finishes and run using the desktop icon?
jebise101

Next

Return to General Help and Support