Video Cover Art

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Video Cover Art

Postby Andersony » Sun May 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Ok, I've searched for the answer to this and can't seem to find the right answer..

This is what I do:

I rip my movies using DVDFAb 6.0.0.3 to a WHS (Windows Home Server) share on my network. The rips are complete VOB structure, but not ISO (I do this for MyMovies - which works great).
I use PMS to serve these shares to the PS3 over my home (wired) network.
Within the WHS Share, each rip is contained in its own folder (IE > Videos/Big Trouble in Little China/Video_TS/...)

When I browse over to the share with the PS3 (using PMS), it shows them as ISO's, which they are not, but whatever works is kewl with me ;) Im not sure if this was a added feature is the latest build of PMS or not ? Anyways, when I look at the folder containing a paticular movie, it now shows TITLE1, TITLE2, etc... (which before it actually showed all the other files, but now just groups the VOB series into TITLES ?).

If I want to watch one of the movies, it works fine, but I still have to guess which TITLE it is. If I could get cover art working I wouldn't have to, any Ideas ?
I've tried TITLE.png, VOBxxx.png, VOBxxx.cover.png ... and still dont get the art (I place them in the same folder as the file).

Also, what is the 'alternate videos cover art folder' supposed to do ? and how do you use it ?

-Any help is appreciated ;)
Andersony

Re: Video Cover Art

Postby Vermouth » Mon May 18, 2009 11:04 pm

how covers work generally is that you put the cover image in the same folder as the movie file.

if the movie file is named Starwars.avi then the image should be named Starwars.avi.cover.jpg (or .png or whatever image file type it is).

in your particular case, i believe each title on a dvd is named VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB, etc. it varies from dvd to dvd, depending on what special features the dvd contains, or if it is a dvd of tv episodes. i suggest finding out what the main movie file is for a given dvd in your library (this will likely be the largest file among all the vob's), and name the image file accordingly. for example, VTS_01_1.VOB.cover.jpg

good luck.
Vermouth

Postby Andersony » Tue May 19, 2009 4:01 am

Hey Vermouth, thanks for the reply...

When I said that I had tried VOBxxx, I should have said I tried VTS_01_0.VOB.PNG and VTS_01_0.VOB.COVER.PNG really ... I was being general and didn't want anyone to think all I tried is VTS_0x... (x = number for VOB series that has the movie).

I've tried so many combonations, I don't remember everything I've tried -- ;) Hence, my asking for help.

I do like how the latest builds of PMS takes the different series of VOBS -- like say there is a preview that is VTS_01_0.VOB and VTS_01_1.VOB and then another preview VTS_02_0.VOB VTS_02_1.VOB and VTS_02_2.VOB, and the main movie is VTS_03_0.VOB VTS_03_1.VOB VTS_03_2.VOB etc .. -- and calls these TITLE1, TITLE2, and TITLE3 instead of showing all the actual VOBS when broswing over the network using the PS3 .. its nice and clean now. I just need to know what each TITLE is, and I can achieve that by using cover art.

Am I being clear :) ? Thx
Andersony

Postby Andersony » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 am

pppplllleaasee help meeee ... I grabbed 625 (which is nice), but I'm still not seeing cover art for these folders. If I'm missing a post that explains pleaze point me toooet.

- sony
Andersony

Postby Uridium » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Andersony wrote:pppplllleaasee help meeee ... I grabbed 625 (which is nice), but I'm still not seeing cover art for these folders. If I'm missing a post that explains pleaze point me toooet.

- sony

Maybe an obvious one but worth mentioning as I've seen it catch people out many many times.......

Make sure Explorer\tools\folder options aren't set to "hide file extensions for known file types"

If this is turned on (which it is by default in XP, WHS, Vista and win7) your image files will end up as VTS_01_0.VOB.PNG.PNG or VTS_01_0.VOB.COVER.PNG.PNG etc...
Uridium

Postby Andersony » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:58 am

Definately worth mentioning, thanks. However, while trying all these different combos for file naming, I was working from a DOS prompt... thanks for the input though ;( As you can see in the attached, I've tried taking the cover art generated from MyMovies and copy it for every file in both directories .. nothing works :x ... what throws me off is that when I browse over the network with the ps3 to the windows home server, it doesn't show all the files in there like previous builds of ps3ms, it just shows TITLE1 (in Tron's case because it only has the main movie and nothing else - not previews, specials, etc..), so I don't know what to name it - heh.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Snapshot of DOS directory for Tron Movie, trying to get cover art for...
Capture.PNG (64.83 KiB) Viewed 9393 times
Andersony

Postby shagrath » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:54 pm

dvd isos thumbs are not supported yet
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Andersony » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:52 am

shagrath wrote:dvd isos thumbs are not supported yet

these are stored in the shares on the server as Video_TS and Audio_TS folders .. not ISO, however PS3MS seems to see/interpret them as ISO's when browsed from the ps3, was I right to assume this to be a new feature in one of the latter builds ? I like it cuz its not so cluttered with files when browsing with the ps3, but it seemed a bit confusing when I was trying to troubleshoot this cover art... Thanks Shag, -sony
Andersony

Postby sheff99 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:09 am

Hi sony.

Here's how I got it to work in case you haven't found a resolution yet.

Say you have this DVD rip:

-> DVD Backups -> 3Amigos -> VIDEO_TS -> <list of vob files>

In the '3Amigos' directory, put the cover art file named VIDEO_TS.jpg
So now, probably the only items you see listed in the '3Amigos' dir are:
VIDEO_TS (a directory)
VIDEO_TS.jpg (your cover art file)

-sheff
sheff99

Postby akadennis » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:17 am

Hello everyone. I just installed the ps3 media server and absolutely love it. I figured out how to do the cover art for my vob files. I can see the cover art when I stream the movie, however when I copy it to my PS3 hard drive the art reverts back to a black screen. Is it possible for the VOB file to retain the image on the PS3 hard drive? If this has been answered please forgive me. Thanks 2 anyone who responds.
akadennis

Next

Return to General Help and Support