Need some info and help

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Need some info and help

Postby omegastar » Sun May 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Currently I play all my MKVs on my pc fine using CoreAVC codec. I'm looking into a way to watch 1080p mkvs on my hdtv in another room most movies I have are in DTS. I currently dont own a PS3 but I have been wanting one and if I can use it to stream my movies I just might. I cant afford to upgrade my pc and get a PS3 for this to work. I also dont want to lose any audio or video quality of the MKVs. I also dont want to convert the files to PS3 compatible I'm wanting to transcode and stream. Will my setup be able to accomplish this? Also will I still have the full DTS sound going to my reciever or will it have to downgrade?

AMD X2 2.1ghz 4000+ CPU / 1GB ram
100mbit wrt54g router (eithernet is gigabit but not router)
DTS compatible AV reciever
omegastar

Re: Need some info and help

Postby silicon » Thu May 21, 2009 7:59 am

Your CPU Duo Core is fine. I'm just worried about your 1 GB RAM, I recommend at least 2 or 4 GB of RAM and the speed of your RAM to be at least 667 Mhz or better. Your router is also fine, no need to upgrade it. I've been testing 1080p .mkv streams for the past few days and I'm not too thrilled about it. It stutters a lot and can't seem to find a way to get a smooth stream. I've tried downgrading my quality settings down to just *Good Quality* and it still stutters, I haven't tried going lower than that as I wouldn't even enjoy watching 1080p too downgraded so I didn't even bother. I'm using wired connection as well.

I will be testing it more, although I did successfully tested 720p .mkv files and they stream great with no stutters. I'm not sure if I'm getting both 720p and DTS coming through, I will have to double check my log on that when I get home. If you do plan to stream at least 720p through Media Server, I suggest it to be wired and not WiFi. WiFi is only good to stream audio and low end movie files/sizes. You can stream downloaded youtube movie files (High Quality or HD) through WiFi with no problems.

When it comes to DTS, my personal opinion is that if you don't have a Home Theater Sound System for your digital audio to stream through. There's no need for it, stereo sound is as good and it works fine for me. I'm just glad to have sound, lol. I'm still working on this 1080p stream thing. I will let you know if I get it working with no stutters. Another personal opinion is that with 720p and 1080p .mkv files, I can't really see a difference in picture quality when I run both on my computer screens anyway. Therefore I only have 720p files which are around 4.7 GB. Takes up less space on my 1 TB external. :D

*1080p stream testing completed* 8-)
Last edited by silicon on Sat May 23, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join My Informative & Helpful Fuss! http://gamersuniverse.bestbb.net
silicon

Re: Need some info and help

Postby silicon » Thu May 21, 2009 11:02 am

Oh...I forgot to mention one thing. I noticed a HUGE difference in color contrast when I streamed the movie "Happy Feet" 720p through PMS and onto my 52" 1080p screen. The colors were dull when I played it on my computer and onto my 32" 720p monitor. I'm not sure if it's because I'm running the feed through DVI that's causing the color to dull like that. It could be since HDMI is far more superior. All I know is that the color is VERY vibrant on my 52"! So...no more watching 1080p or 720p movies on my 32" monitor anymore! :D

"Happy Feet" I think would be an excellent movie to test how vibrant your HDTV is with its color contrast. Then again you could use other movies too, but I just prefer "Happy Feet". Loving all the vibrant rainbow effects on the penguins back. :D
Join My Informative & Helpful Fuss! http://gamersuniverse.bestbb.net
silicon

Return to General Help and Support