Great app - but cannot solve thumbnail issue

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Great app - but cannot solve thumbnail issue

Postby SHoe » Sat May 16, 2009 10:34 pm

This is driving me nutz and keeping me from enjoying an otherwise brilliant piece of software. I have seen mention of this specific but no resolution that works (I must have checked a hundred pages on these forums). Here is the problem:

When I open a folder of videos on my PS3 (via PS3 MS), all videos are listed fine (No slow down in listing them or scrolling). But the thumbnails only draw 10 (approx) at a time and when I scroll down it draw the thumbs for the newly visible items - BUT when I scroll back to the top the first thumbs are gone and its starts redrawing them again (takes a sec or so for each). So there are never more then 10 thumbs or so - it must always redraw when i scroll or go to a new folder.

WHAT I HAVE DONE:
- I have checked 'Enable the Media Library' option in PS3 MS (i clicked 'reset media library' as well). Aside from checking that box - am i supposed to do anything else for the media library?
- I have tried with folder.jpg (a smallish 35KB jpg) for some folders (i.e. TV show) and although it does use that jpg instead of generating a thumb, I STILL get the same problem of constantly redrawing/regenerating as I scroll. I have also used this folder.jpg file WITH and WITHOUT Thumbnails Generation checked - no difference.
- I have tried without folder.jpg, with Thumbnails Generation checked. Still same problem.
- I have tried all of the above with 'Use MPlayer for Video Thumbnails' and it doesn't make a difference.
- I have tried restarting PS3 MS and the PS3 when these changes were made

So what am I missing? The only answer I have seen mentioned on the forums is something like: "check the 'enable the Media Library' option and that will only cause the generation of thumbs to happen only once". Well I have tried that and it doesn't work - still redraws slowishly whenever I scroll. BTW: When this option is checked I am not sure if I am supposed to go into my normal shared folder on the PS3 (i have a'Video' folder that I added via PS3MS shared folders) or the 'Media Library' folder that appears - but either way it the same problem.

Everything else works great. No problems transcoding and I am getting great network performance via my Wifi.

I am using:
PS3 Media Server 1.10.51

PC:
AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 3800+, 2GHz
2 GB RAM

Network:
Wireless 802.11g

Thanks in advance to anybody that can help - and apologies in advance if I am missing something obvious.
SHoe

Re: Great app - but cannot solve thumbnail issue

Postby meskibob » Sat May 16, 2009 11:26 pm

I don't think there's anything you can do about it as it's a PS3 restriction. You can test this by copying over mp3's with embedded album art to the PS3 harddrive. Even though they're on the drive, it still regenerates the thumbnails after browsing from the top to the bottom back to the top, although the generation is much faster since the files are local. The generation speed may be improved with a wired connection, but it still won't be as immediate as you're hoping.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Great app - but cannot solve thumbnail issue

Postby SHoe » Sun May 17, 2009 12:26 am

Ahhhh. So it's normal to do that. Okay.
So I guess that means that - even within a given folder - the PS3 does no caching of thumbnails? Seems strange that would code it that way. Or is that the protocol (DLNA..or whatever it called)?
SHoe

Return to General Help and Support