Various video size/scale issues.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Various video size/scale issues.

Postby megagold5 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi, first off thanks for a really great program, it really is the closest thing to perfect.

Now, down to business.

Firstly, video scaling appears to do nothing with OGG files.

Being the perfectionist I am, I have spent the last 2 days trying to get streaming video to be EXACTLY the right size for other formats on the screen... and have come to various conclusions.

(This is all using 'original' video zoom on PS3 and a Sony Bravia 32V4000U)

720p
When using the video scaler option in PMS (using 1252x704) I can get the top and bottom exactly right, but loose a bit on both horizonal sides, when trying to shrink this it just becomes more and more blurry continuously as I shrink the width, instead of actually getting smaller and giving black bars. When typing the scaling options into the specific option box in PMS (using 1224x7**) I can get all on the sides, but thin black bars on the top and bottom and despite how large I make the horizontal size these black bars do not go, although I do technically get all the picture on visable screen.

1080i
Using 1080i does essentially the oposite as 720p for the scaler option method wherein I get all on the sides but loose a bit on the top and bottom (moreso for the bottom). Using the specific option box does the same thing as the video scaler option in 1080i mode.

So, any ideas? Thanks.

Also, while i'm at it, what does "force framerate parsed from FFMPEG" do?
megagold5

Re: Various video size/scale issues.

Postby megagold5 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Nevermind, I changed the aspect ratio to 16:10 and it now plays EXACTLY to the line of the pixels in all directions on my TV. It also works with OGM files now.
*pats self on back...twice*

Although I still don't know what 'Force framerate parsed for FFMPEG' does though, lol.
megagold5

Re: Various video size/scale issues.

Postby WebCideR » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:26 pm

I tried to figure out what you mean, when saying "sitting the aspect ratio to 16:10"
the thing is i am transcoding from a PC which has a 16:10 monitor connected and then transcoding the movie over to a 16:9 42" television.
The problem for me is that somehow i have those same issues its like %5 of the screen is off
when i watch on my computer the subtitles are longer away from the edge and i just know the image is supposed to be a bit smaller.
i guess this is what you call Overscan however the overscan fix -vf expand=-60:-60:30:30
didn't helped with all the movies 4:3 will play in very small window while 1280X720 movies
would play full screen with subtitles further away its kind of bugging me but i hope there is a solution i just skipped.
Oh yeah i tried with various FFDshow resize settings 16:10 none of them work as they should
however i did found away to like make the movie appear but then some the picture is not in full picture to the edges of the screen.
WebCideR

Return to General Help and Support