Cannot create Java Virtual machine

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Cannot create Java Virtual machine

Postby ElimGarak » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 am

Hello!
First of all thank you for your GREAT application!!!

Unfortunately, 1.03 still gives me the "Cannot create Java Virtual machine" error message.
As I told you, the only way for me to launch PS3MS is to change Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB) to 640 and manually laung wrapper.exe.

I have 2GB of RAM.

Thank you for your support!!!
ElimGarak

Re: Cannot create Java Virtual machine

Postby shagrath » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Maybe I should do a downsized requirements version of PMS.exe (it needs 768Mb actually )
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ElimGarak » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:23 pm

I don't know. I would expect 2GB of RAM being enough, actually. I'm surprised I'm the only one having this problem since I think it's a standard configuration. So maybe the problem is not the amount of memory but something on my system. I don't really know...
ElimGarak

Postby shagrath » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:30 pm

ElimGarak wrote:I don't know. I would expect 2GB of RAM being enough, actually. I'm surprised I'm the only one having this problem since I think it's a standard configuration. So maybe the problem is not the amount of memory but something on my system. I don't really know...

I already saw Java memory allocation issues. It's a pain in the ass to find the culprit... sometimes it works but only allocates half of what we asked to the JVM
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby spenkie156 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:54 am

Hello,

First of all. Great app!! keap up the good work.

I have the same problem. On my laptop with 1GB mem it works great! But on my PC 2GB mem it gives the message ´´cannot create Java Virtual Machine`` On both systems i am running Vista. I don´t understand why it isn´t working. When i look at the free mem on my PC its 78% free! I hope there will be a solution soon.
spenkie156

Postby whome » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:05 pm

Somehow related to this post, PMS.exe laucher specs?.

You could use the following script to run a Java application, it gives you an ability to taylor heap size and whatnot. It's a bit mystery world if one is not familiar with how java processes work.

"Cannot create JVM" error message might indicate a syntax error in a jvm arguments, we don't know it for sure because PMS.exe is a hidden secret.

PMS.bat
Code: Select all
@REM http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/ism.html
@REM
@REM Use java.exe or javaw.exe launcher,
@REM you may give a fully qualified path (c:\jdk1.6\bin\java.exe)
@REM
@REM maximum total heap size: -Xmx<768m | 1g>
@REM

java.exe -Xmx1g -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.encoding=UTF-8 -jar pms.jar
@rem start javaw.exe -Xmx1g -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.encoding=UTF-8 -jar pms.jar

@REM pause

This is how I run PS3MS process. I have never run setup.exe, but took CVS sources, compiled sources and use PMS.bat script ever since. I can winzip the folder and unzip to an another machine and its "installed".
whome

Postby ZuCzter » Sun May 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi

Hi have read posts above but still don´t understand what to to do to get PMS going. Allways getting the message "Could not create the Java Virtual Machine". The sad thing is that it worked 2 weaks ago0 =/.

Pls help me, and explain it the way you would do for a 7 years old kid =).

//ZuCzter
ZuCzter

Return to General Help and Support