Center Speaker Coming Out of Right Speaker

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Center Speaker Coming Out of Right Speaker

Postby pkdowning » Sat May 16, 2009 4:38 am

I have searched the forums and it seems like others are having this problem as well, but I haven't found an answer. Why is it whenever I play an mkv file with 5.1 surround sound I get the center channel speaker coming out of the right channel speaker? I have tried different versions of PS3ms, even the latest beta versions with no success.
Can someone help me out?

I have an iMac computer -> Airport Express N -> plugged directly into the PS3.

thanks.
pkdowning

Re: Center Speaker Coming Out of Right Speaker

Postby pkdowning » Sat May 16, 2009 11:14 pm

Seriously, no one else is having this problem or can help me out?
pkdowning

Postby shagrath » Sat May 16, 2009 11:35 pm

it's a common problem on Linux, due to old mencoder packages, but since the packages are included in the server on OSX... I got no ideas
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby pkdowning » Sat May 16, 2009 11:38 pm

if it's a common problem how come more members are not complaining about it? Do alot of people just watch their movies in stereo mode instead of surround sound?
pkdowning

Postby shagrath » Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

like I said, it's common on Linux, but I guess you're on OSX ?
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby pkdowning » Sun May 17, 2009 1:54 am

Yes I am using OSX
pkdowning

Postby pkdowning » Sun May 17, 2009 3:08 am

I am running an optical cable from the PS3 to my receiver. Would that have anything to do with the settings in PS3 media server?
pkdowning

Postby pkdowning » Fri May 29, 2009 5:29 am

Any suggestions?
pkdowning

Postby Gareth » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Hmm, I've just "found" your superb and much wanted program - so first of all thanks for the work I very much appreciate it.

I'm using mine (V1.11.335) on a quad core 64bit Windows 7 PC, it all installed fine, but the "run as a service" seems to have a few problems which I will look into later. So I have reverted back to normal running and it looks to have worked perfectly. But first of all I had only 2 channel audio so I has changed the default settings a little and now do get 5.1, BUT like some of the other posters it is certainally not right. I have center channel coming out of the right speaker too. I'll keep playng around but thought that I'd mention it just to let you know that it is not just Linux or Macs.
Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:57 pm

Gareth wrote:Hmm, I've just "found" your superb and much wanted program - so first of all thanks for the work I very much appreciate it.

I'm using mine (V1.11.335) on a quad core 64bit Windows 7 PC, it all installed fine, but the "run as a service" seems to have a few problems which I will look into later. So I have reverted back to normal running and it looks to have worked perfectly. But first of all I had only 2 channel audio so I has changed the default settings a little and now do get 5.1, BUT like some of the other posters it is certainally not right. I have center channel coming out of the right speaker too. I'll keep playng around but thought that I'd mention it just to let you know that it is not just Linux or Macs.

Bit more info....
This is to a PS3, sorry forgot to say that.
It seems to happen with optical or HDMI
If I use the PS3 "display" button and have it set to Linerar PCM 2 channel then, it still sounds like its in 5.1 to me but the centre is correct, however if I have one displaying that it is in 5.1 then the centre is coming from the right channel.

I have just tried selecting "keep DTS audio in stream", DTC/FLAC remux and "remux when audio track is AC3" and now the channels appear correct. I THINK that it was the DTS/FLAC remux that fixed it, does that help anyone work out what is happening?
Gareth

Next

Return to General Help and Support