Fast Forward / Rewind

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Fast Forward / Rewind

Postby karl0s » Fri May 15, 2009 3:32 pm

is anybody successfully able to fast forward or rewind MKV files?

If so whats the trick, i have tried it on low bandwidth options and still struggle to get it working.
karl0s

Re: Fast Forward / Rewind

Postby meskibob » Fri May 15, 2009 4:00 pm

You essentially need a wired connection for any sort of successful FF/RW, as well a "full" transcode buffer if transcoding. However, the best way to move through a file, wired and wireless, is to use the "Go To" function available in the PS3 playback menu.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby karl0s » Fri May 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi,

Yeah i did try it wired and wireless seems to make no difference it just pauses the film and im lucky if i get any further normally have to go out of the film and go back into it to resume playback

How do i get a full transcode buffer? just wait till the entire film has transcoded before playback?
karl0s

Postby shagrath » Fri May 15, 2009 8:12 pm

fast forward/rewind is not recommended when transcoding... try to use the "jump to time" feature of the ps3, much more responsive...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby karl0s » Fri May 15, 2009 8:21 pm

How can you transcode fully before playback? would be nice to be able to.
karl0s

Postby silicon » Thu May 21, 2009 12:24 pm

karl0s wrote:How can you transcode fully before playback? would be nice to be able to.

As per PS3 Media Server settings, not possible. Transcode only goes up to 600 MB buffer and you wouldn't want to have it fully transcoded, trust me. :lol:
Join My Informative & Helpful Fuss! http://gamersuniverse.bestbb.net
silicon

Postby karl0s » Thu May 21, 2009 12:37 pm

So - there is no way possible to be able to rewind/fast forward?
karl0s

Postby meskibob » Thu May 21, 2009 12:57 pm

karl0s wrote:So - there is no way possible to be able to rewind/fast forward?
We already told you. You can FF/RW with just a wired connection if you are streaming a file. If you're transcoding, you also need the transcode buffer to be full upto the point you want to FF to. What I mean by that: Say you have a 100mb file that's 100 seconds long. If you want to FF by 20 seconds, you would need 20mb in the transcode buffer. RW while transcoding can be a little bit more problematic, so it's not really recommended.
However, what I stated initially still holds: it's best to use the Go To function from the control panel: http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... nel.html#9
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby shagrath » Thu May 21, 2009 1:55 pm

meskibob wrote:
karl0s wrote:So - there is no way possible to be able to rewind/fast forward?
We already told you. You can FF/RW with just a wired connection if you are streaming a file. If you're transcoding, you also need the transcode buffer to be full upto the point you want to FF to. What I mean by that: Say you have a 100mb file that's 100 seconds long. If you want to FF by 20 seconds, you would need 20mb in the transcode buffer. RW while transcoding can be a little bit more problematic, so it's not really recommended.
However, what I stated initially still holds: it's best to use the Go To function from the control panel: http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... nel.html#9

meskibob , just some corrections :)
it's not Tversity where you can't fast forward until the scene is transcoded and in a disk/memory buffer... fast forward works the same than the "go to" function, so 120x forward is possible... BUT when you are transcoding, it will be not so responsive, depending of your network and computer strength (in this case ethernet is almost mandatory I think).
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby meskibob » Thu May 21, 2009 3:38 pm

shagrath wrote:meskibob , just some corrections :)
it's not Tversity where you can't fast forward until the scene is transcoded and in a disk/memory buffer... fast forward works the same than the "go to" function, so 120x forward is possible... BUT when you are transcoding, it will be not so responsive, depending of your network and computer strength (in this case ethernet is almost mandatory I think).

I never said it was like Tversity's linear transcoding ;)
The point I was trying to make was that for a "useable" FF/RW while transcoding (read: with as little delay in response as possible), it helps to have the scene already transcoded and in the buffer, in which case only your network capabilities are limiting in getting the appropriate scenes to the PS3. In general, with a wired connection, your PC is going to be limiting instead of network, so getting rid of that limitation by having scenes already transcoded should mean a pretty responsive FF/RW. That is still a valid point, correct?
I'm sorry if that sounded like I was saying PMS couldn't handle non-linear transcoding (obviously false due to the successful use of the Go To function :))...
meskibob

Next

Return to General Help and Support