Stuttering when streaming with External Subtitle

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Stuttering when streaming with External Subtitle

Postby TGO » Fri May 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi guys,

I was trying to stream a 720p mkv file to PS3 from an iMac. When I tried to stream it with an external srt subtitle file, the video stuttered like crazy. I pressed the Display button on PS3 it shows approx 100Mbps coming through the network. What is going on there? However when I stream it without the subtitle, it shows less than 5Mbps... It doesn't make any sense.

Can someone help here?

Thanks.
TGO

Re: Stuttering when streaming with External Subtitle

Postby meskibob » Fri May 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Do not trust the PS3 bitrate display when the file is stuttering as it grossly increases the displayed bitrate and it is incorrect.
The stuttering means either: a) your PC isn't fast enough to keep up with the full transcode (necessary to embed the subtitles), or b) your network can't handle bitrate. You can tell which it is by looking at the "Transcode buffer" on the PMS status tab when the file is stuttering. If the buffer (bar) is empty, it's your PC. If not, it's your network. In either case, you'll need to decrease the max bandwidth and/or video quality settings under the PMS common transcode settings.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Uridium » Fri May 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Sorry to jump on someone elses's thread but just wanted to ask does PMS do a full transcode to embed an SRT subtitle in a standard Def AVI?
Uridium

Postby meskibob » Fri May 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Uridium wrote:Sorry to jump on someone elses's thread but just wanted to ask does PMS do a full transcode to embed an SRT subtitle in a standard Def AVI?
I'm pretty sure the PS3 doesn't accept streamed external subtitles on any filetype, but it may be fine with them when played directly off a USB drive with PS3 compatible files (like a SD Divx AVI). PMS has to reencode the subtitles into the video file, essentially burning them into the output MPEG2 video that the PS3 can play.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Uridium » Fri May 15, 2009 3:43 pm

OK thanks. I used to burn the subs into SD AVI's with AVIAddXSubs http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php
But have recently been dumping the SRT with the Vid and streaming with PMS. Just wandered if it was doing a full transcode on these or not.
Uridium

Postby pmos69 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:53 pm

yup, the ps3 only reads xsubs embebed in divx files, I think
pmos69

Postby TGO » Tue May 19, 2009 9:28 am

meskibob wrote:Do not trust the PS3 bitrate display when the file is stuttering as it grossly increases the displayed bitrate and it is incorrect.
The stuttering means either: a) your PC isn't fast enough to keep up with the full transcode (necessary to embed the subtitles), or b) your network can't handle bitrate. You can tell which it is by looking at the "Transcode buffer" on the PMS status tab when the file is stuttering. If the buffer (bar) is empty, it's your PC. If not, it's your network. In either case, you'll need to decrease the max bandwidth and/or video quality settings under the PMS common transcode settings.

Thanks! It played smoothly when I lower the quality setting.
TGO

Postby zixer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:22 pm

I have the same problem. So i have decided to play the mkv files without subtitles and try to use my english :). Theres no point in lowering the quality so the bluray beauty disappears.
zixer

Return to General Help and Support