help with .mkv,.ogm n .ogg files

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

help with .mkv,.ogm n .ogg files

Postby LokiRagnarok » Thu May 14, 2009 10:34 pm

hi guys,
very simple question:
how do i configure the program so that it plays the files with the audio en subtitles requested.
i have loads of anime which r in .mkv/.ogm/.ogg formats. the program plays them perfectly but in english......n that is pretty crappy.
if i play them on my pc i can jsut choose in vlc to swtich to other audia channel and then choose subtitles english, for example. even wwith my CCCP codec it works without any problem on the pc.
how to get the same result via ps3?

i figured it should be in the transcoding part....tried lots of stuff, switching on n off things but nuthing worked.

thx for the help :)

greetings, Loki
LokiRagnarok

Re: help with .mkv,.ogm n .ogg files

Postby pmos69 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:09 pm

configure "audio language priority" and "subtitles language priority" in the mencoder settings.
pmos69

Postby LokiRagnarok » Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 pm

i tried that. " audio language priority: jpn", subtitles laguage priority: eng", "audio/subtitles language priority (example:en,off;eng'off): jap, on; eng, on....
its nut working....or maybe im doing sumthing wrong.
LokiRagnarok

Postby shagrath » Fri May 15, 2009 11:14 am

you can also select manually the audio and subs parts you want into the #transcode folder
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby LokiRagnarok » Fri May 15, 2009 5:44 pm

how do i manage that?
its all rocket science to me :P
i use to be able to just at the press of a buton choose my prefered settings ( with vlc for example), but now im lost ....
thx for the help guys :)
LokiRagnarok

Postby ExSport » Sat May 16, 2009 6:40 am

LokiRagnarok wrote:i tried that. " audio language priority: jpn", subtitles laguage priority: eng", "audio/subtitles language priority (example:en,off;eng'off): jap, on; eng, on....
its nut working....or maybe im doing sumthing wrong.

There exist 2 or 3 letters language tag regarding ISO-639 standart. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php
For Japanese it is JPN and JA.
So use tags above, not JAP etc...
How it works:
You need to set audio lang priority. Use e.g. this: JPN,JA,ENG,EN
It will play Japanese at first. If no Japanese audio found, then it will play English etc.
After that use audio/subtitle lang priority. Use e.g. JPN,ENG;JA,EN;JPN,off;JA,off;ENG,off;EN,off
Don't use subtitle lang priority alone ;) (delete this line so it will be empty)
How works audio/sub priority combination?
If JPN audio is found, it will play ENG subtitles if present. If not, it tries to find JA audio with EN subtitles. If it doesn't fit, only JPN audio will play with subtitles OFF etc....
So your JAP,ON do nothing because ON is nothing ;)
2-letter format is used on DVD but 3-letter format is used on MKV files etc.
One point, it doesn't work with XviD/DivX AVI files because LANG ID is not specified in video file. You can add LANG tag when you have external subtitles as .SRT or .SUB so you can use Movie.ENG.srt for English subtitles.
About Shagrath tip. When you check video on PS3 you will also see folder named #-- TRANSCODE --#. Here you will find all audio/subtitles combination so you can choose it manually. If video file have no LANG-ID, then you will see UNDETERMINED lang-tag....it means you can't set it via audio/subtitle priority because PMS don't know what language subtitles are. Then #TRANSCODE# folder can be used for that 8-)
ExSport

Postby LokiRagnarok » Sat May 16, 2009 9:05 am

man you deserve a nobel price :D
zillions thx :D
LokiRagnarok

Postby iamnocrimNL » Fri May 29, 2009 7:56 am

I have some anime episodes I am trying to watch and for some reason their subtitles aren't showing up on the ps3 at all. They work fine on the PC. The subtitles aren't even showing up in the #TRANSCODE section on the ps3. I have several MKV movies with subtitles and they all work fine and show the option for subtitles in the #TRANSCODE section. Its just these few different anime series that there doesn't seem to be even an option for viewing the subtitles on the ps3. Any help would be great.
iamnocrimNL

Postby zomgheals » Fri May 29, 2009 11:52 am

iamnocrimNL wrote:I have some anime episodes I am trying to watch and for some reason their subtitles aren't showing up on the ps3 at all. They work fine on the PC. The subtitles aren't even showing up in the #TRANSCODE section on the ps3. I have several MKV movies with subtitles and they all work fine and show the option for subtitles in the #TRANSCODE section. Its just these few different anime series that there doesn't seem to be even an option for viewing the subtitles on the ps3. Any help would be great.

Make sure the Definitely Disable Subtitles isnt ticked in the Common transcode settings

Or if you're watching the .mkv's in tsmux, when you stream anime to ps3, press triangle and click the subtitle option
zomgheals

Postby iamnocrimNL » Sat May 30, 2009 12:11 am

i double checked to make sure definitely disable subs is not ticked, it wasn't. Pressing triangle and going to subtitle options on the ps3 has always said 'no subtitle options available'. I even uninstalled and reinstalled all the codec packs that are needed, as well as the ps3 media server app it self. Just to make sure some setting wasn't the problem.
When i play other movies with subtitles, i at least get the option in #transcode# to play the audio / subtitles i want. In fact, i think all the mkv movies i watch, i must go to the #transecode# and play the one that says something like 'MEncoder {Audio:DTS/Thai}{Sub:Embedded/English}' The problem with these animes, is that I am not even given that option for some reason, yet they have subs when i watch them on the PC, and i can see that they are there with MKVTool.
Last edited by iamnocrimNL on Sat May 30, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamnocrimNL

Next

Return to General Help and Support