NOT Simple enough for this SIMPLETON?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

NOT Simple enough for this SIMPLETON?

Postby cyberized » Wed May 13, 2009 7:04 pm

OK! Did not give up; 1st time I tried to get it setup and working, I ended up deleting it. I am BACK - this time I used a Translated German Turorial to do initial setup [settings etc.] which was a real help BUT now I am back to square ONE, actual USE of the program.......everyone just seems to jump right in and start transferring over things from their 'puter to their PS3. NOT me.
Would someone PLEASE take the time to give me SIMPLE instructions on what to do 1st on my 'puter to a file or folder with Video, Audio. or Photos......then what to do on the PS3.......IF I could just get ONE working I might stand a chance at the other media. For example: [1st - should say I have NO Audio or Video files on my puter at this time] I do have alot of photos........when I pull up the PS3 Server on the PS3 and go to the "C" drive for example and end up finding "My Photos" and tell it to OPEN......it tells me basically "NOBODY HOME".
I want to mainly use the Server to watch Netflix Movies and shows off of Hulu......PLEASE help me attain my goals.

PS - I had given up on learning how to use this "simple to use" program and went to PlayOn [ liked it alot and was going to pay for it] then I realized that that program was totally fragmenting my C Drive everytime I watched videos and next day I had to spend alot of time defragging my drive.

TKS michael :roll:
cyberized

Re: NOT Simple enough for this SIMPLETON?

Postby pmos69 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:25 pm

on PMS, indicate specific directories were you have your files in Navigation/share settings->shared folders
ex:
c:\...somepath...\movies
c:\...somepath...\photos
c:\...somepath...\music

in the ps3, be sure to select the correct menu for the media type you want to see.
ex: Photos if you want to see photos, audio for... you get it.
You will not be able to see/play any audio files if you select the photos menu, for example, although you will see the directories you shared in all the menus.

take it from here and see what you get...
pmos69

Postby cyberized » Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 pm

THANKS for the res[ponse, I now understand that you must go to the specific File Type on the PS3 to view what has been "scanned" in the SHARE 'window'. Which are that type of File/Folder on your hard drive...........BUT.......my problem, trying to comprehend, HOW for example, when you go to HULU or Netflix and choose something you want to watch and it starts running on your 'puter monitor........if I understand correctly, I have to have that video I have chosen download into a Folder 1st and then use my PS3 M. Server to fid anjd play it later......is that correct?
If so - - - HOW do I make that Video go into say, for example: C: .............My Videos - - - so I can find and use the SHaring feature to get it to the PS3?????

PS - I was able to finally figure out and use the Program to access MY Photos and scan the Folder and then find them under Photos on the PS3 - - - GREAT!!!! Only one bugaboo it did not scan ALL of the photos in the original folder.

TKS michael
Last edited by cyberized on Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyberized

Postby meskibob » Wed May 13, 2009 8:41 pm

cyberized wrote:I want to mainly use the Server to watch Netflix Movies and shows off of Hulu......PLEASE help me attain my goals.
PMS currently does not support live streaming from Netflix nor Hulu... Apparently Shagrath had an idea of how to get Hulu to work, but it was in violation of Hulu's TOS so it wasn't implemented.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby meskibob » Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 pm

cyberized wrote:if I understand correctly, I have to have that video I have chosen download into a Folder 1st and then use my PS3 M. Server to fid anjd play it later......is that correct?
Yes, you would need to have a local copy of the file
cyberized wrote:If so - - - HOW do I make that Video go into say, for example: C: .............My Videos - - - so I can find and use the SHaring feature to get it to the PS3????
That is outside the scope of what PMS is supposed to do, and in either case is (I believe) illegal according to their TOS. May I suggest asking the almighty Google on how to download Netlfix and Hulu vids.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support