How to transcode subs fast

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

How to transcode subs fast

Postby lennartz » Mon May 11, 2009 4:05 pm

Let me start with pointing out that PS3 Media server is one of these rare gem's that one finds just once in a long loooong time.
And best of all... it's free. many, many thanks to the author of this great piece of software.

I'am running PS3 media server on some crappy hardware... my dad's old machine :) .. and now I use it as a media server.
I cranked up the hardware everywhere I could for only a few bucks (new HD, some more Memory -maxed out to 1GB maxumum DDR1- and a new 1Gb NIC)
But 2 things I won't touch: motherboard and CPU. (isn't really worth it)
Now the CPU is a cheap-ass 1.8 ghz Celeron and it gets on it knees pretty easy.
No problem for most I want from the machine except video encoding.

720p is able to run smoothly but the problems start with transcoding subtitles.
I get choppy performance. Offcourse this has everything to do with the poor CPU.
Question is: how to render external subtitles (I don't want to hard-sub every download) as fast as possible?
I'am willing to let go of some quality for performance gain but can't find configuration in PS3 media server to do this.

For example, I can imagine that NOT anti-aliasing the subs gives a major performance boost.
Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
lennartz

Re: How to transcode subs fast

Postby shagrath » Mon May 11, 2009 5:41 pm

No real solution here... old computers are not able to keep up an HD transcode in real time... with subs, the entire video is reencoded
shagrath
Project Lead

Re: How to transcode subs fast

Postby lennartz » Mon May 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I guess you are right.

Well, then I should get me a dedicated machine for encoding video.
I won't hard-code the subs for all those series or movies that are HD just because the CPU can't keep up.
It's simply a lot of work to do and I don't think hard-code subs are a subtle solution anyway. Not flexible to say the least.
furthermore, encoding 1080p is also a no-go performance-wise so pretty soon I will need better hardware anyway, since full HD is getting more mainstream.

So who can give me some advise on what CPU to choose?
lennartz

Return to General Help and Support