which video file to use? more info desired

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

which video file to use? more info desired

Postby marlow » Mon May 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Just discovered ps3ms and it is really GREAT! Wow!
Mov videos I've previously struggled to transcode so wmp would handle them now play wonderfully, with no fuss at all!

I'm sure I've missed earlier, more basic technical discussions. Is there anywhere where some more info on how to use it/what's going on are described? e.g.

1) In video directories I've shared to ps3ms, when I navigate there on the ps3, I see a choice of the original file(s) e.g. myvideo.mov[mplayer], plus there appears a new subdirectory #--transcoded--# with the same file names and often some additional ones (with the audio I guess). Should I play the original file? the one in the transcode directory? What's the difference? What about those other files?
2) are the #--transcoded--# directories virtual? temporary?
3) I see some temporary files remain (on my windows system, in ps3ms temp directories). This appeared to only relate to some of the "web" photo files. Any more info about these? where/who do they come from?

TIA
marlow

Re: which video file to use? more info desired

Postby marlow » Mon May 11, 2009 4:16 pm

Lest I appear completely brain dead, I did just notice somebody's drafted a newbie guide.
It is only in German, Meinen Deutsch is nicht sehr gute, aber........but I'm having a go with the google xlation--
I've read several pages and haven't yet gotten to the verb...........that's a joke ;-)

I also noticed some useful info in a post titled "corrupted data" or similar. My videos play pretty well so I don't know why I was even looking at that post. Not too useful to try and read all possible posts.
Anyway, I see that many folks here apparently need more of a guide. Wonderful software, though!
marlow

Re: which video file to use? more info desired

Postby Subject2Change » Mon May 11, 2009 5:10 pm

Play the original file if you can; the Transcode folder is there for anything that does NOT playback normally or has Subtitles or Multiple Audio Streams and needs to be Transcoded in order to play it back with these changes. Transcoding is also Temporary and done with memory and not a physical file.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Return to General Help and Support