Mencoder settings

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Mencoder settings

Postby dkc1959 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi guys,
Just started using PS3MS after a search for weeks (or maybe longer) for a solution that consistantly played files streamed from NAS, through router to PC over LAN and then to PS3 over WLAN without stuttering etc. I have various format video files collected without any form of planning, so in various formats ... although I hope to decide on a standard as part of this process. Many of the files I have (whether encoded as VOBs, ts, avi, MP4 etc) play OK without transcode, but it seems that the best, most consistent quality so far is with transcode ... simple MEncoder ! The test tonight was Battle Of Britain, which is a 7GB VOB ripped straight from DVD ... it stutters when played directly as a VOB, but plays beautifully when "transcoded" using Mencoder.
I'm learning about all this as I go, and as such haven't changed any settings from defaults ... so good news so far.

My main PC is Vista running on Q9300 @ 2.8GHz & 4G DDR2 ... so barely notices the transcoding ... but my other PC, the one I want to use as my media server to stream from the NAS, is a VIA M10000 ... a 1GHz processor with 512M DDR2, running Fedora 10 built into a small form factor (200mm cube).

I don't want it to transcode, no chance ... just to stream, and I've been using it to successfully stream for a while using various media servers ... as long as I don't ask it to do anything else, it should be fine ...

It seems to me that if I can successfully transcode using PS3MS and basic Mencoder sttings, proving the NAS, LAN and WLAN can handle the task ... I should be able to stream a "pre-transcoded" file from the linux version of PS3MS running on the smaller PC.

The question is, what MEncoder settings should I use with Mencoder separately, to mimic what is currently working well via the main PC with PS3MS doing transcoding ?

thanks,
Duncan
dkc1959

Re: Mencoder settings

Postby shagrath » Mon May 11, 2009 5:45 pm

the server is not an offline conversion tool. there are plenty of solutions to do this (most of them are Windows only unfortunately)
shagrath
Project Lead

Re: Mencoder settings

Postby dkc1959 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Yep ... understand. What I was asking was if I wanted to use MEncoder offline, what settings would I use to produce a new file, so that when that was played through PS3MS in my other system would mimic the results I have currently when transcoding on my main system.

i.e. how do I find the detail of the MEncoder settings being used currently by PS3MS to do the transcoding

Duncan
dkc1959

Return to General Help and Support