Connection Issues etc

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Connection Issues etc

Postby rozel » Sun May 10, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi I am a noob so please go slowly :-)

Sometimes I find it difficult to connect: -

PS3MS version - 1.10.625
Quad Q6600 @2.4 ghz - 4Gb Ram
Vista Ultimate - 64-bit
I am using a Wired Ethernet Connection - should be a gigabit connection but only seems able to connect at 100Mbits - is this something to do with the PS3 ?

Once connected all seems fine - 1080p DTS .mkv files play superbly!

However I seem to have to fiddle about before the PS3 finds all the folders where the files are.

As well as having an additional drive installed within my pc, I also have an external drive and a Nas drive

Can I ask a few questions please?

1. In what order should I turn everything on - pc, then PS3 then PS3MS ?
2. How long should I then wait before I trying to find files on my PS3? More often than not I get DNLA errors (I'm not sure what those mean) and I have to resort to turning everything off and back on - when you want to watch a film, this can get frustrating, but after a few minutes PS3MS finds the PS3 and to play safe I then wait 5 minutes before finding files - is this normal ? Just now I quit PS3MS and turned it back on only for it NOT to find the PS3! Usually a restart or power down and power up sorts this but why is this necessary?
3. How can you quickly go to a point in a film, say 45 mins in? I am aware you can do this but not sure how
4. I have sorted out my Power saving settings - I noticed that when it went to sleep, the film froze! but today the PS3MS program has shut down by itself twice ? - any thoughts ?

I hope some of you out there can answer my questions, particularly those relating to my connection issues

Cheers

roz
rozel

Re: Connection Issues etc

Postby meskibob » Sun May 10, 2009 3:44 pm

rozel wrote:I am using a Wired Ethernet Connection - should be a gigabit connection but only seems able to connect at 100Mbits - is this something to do with the PS3 ?
The PS3 supports a gigabit connection. You need Cat6 cabling for full gigabit, and Cat5e for 300mbit. Cat5 maxes out at 100mbit. Also, make sure your router supports a 1000Base-T connection.
rozel wrote:1. In what order should I turn everything on - pc, then PS3 then PS3MS ?
If everything is setup properly in your network/firewalls, the order shouldn't matter. In the router, make sure that UPnP and Multicast requests are allowed. No port forwarding is required. In the firewall, make sure that TCP/UDP is allowed on the port PMS is using (default 5001), and that it automatically accepts incoming requests from the PS3 (to do that on mine I had to put the PS3's IP into the list of "Trusted Zone" IPs)
rozel wrote:2. How long should I then wait before I trying to find files on my PS3? More often than not I get DNLA errors (I'm not sure what those mean) and I have to resort to turning everything off and back on - when you want to watch a film, this can get frustrating, but after a few minutes PS3MS finds the PS3 and to play safe I then wait 5 minutes before finding files - is this normal ? Just now I quit PS3MS and turned it back on only for it NOT to find the PS3! Usually a restart or power down and power up sorts this but why is this necessary?
You should be able to begin browsing folders immediately. Once again, check that your network is setup properly, as issues with just browsing the files indicates that something is not right with your UPnP settings.
rozel wrote:3. How can you quickly go to a point in a film, say 45 mins in? I am aware you can do this but not sure how
Use the "Jump to..." option in the PS3 playback menu (accessed via Triangle button).
rozel wrote:4. I have sorted out my Power saving settings - I noticed that when it went to sleep, the film froze! but today the PS3MS program has shut down by itself twice ? - any thoughts ?
I believe PMS will soon have the option to prevent sleep mode.
rozel wrote:but today the PS3MS program has shut down by itself twice ? - any thoughts ?

PMS shutting down by itself usually means it crashed due to not enough memory available for the transcode buffer. Will need the debug.log file to properly diagnose.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby rozel » Sun May 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Brilliant - I will get on with this lot tomorrow but can I ask a few supplementary questions please? : -

3. Yes I wondered about that - but when you get the bar up, how do you insert where you want to jump to

When it crashes again, I will send the de-bug file

Many thanks for replying

Cheers

roz
rozel

Postby meskibob » Sun May 10, 2009 7:57 pm

It should highlight or blink the time area once you select the Go To option. You select it with "X", and then use the D-pad to increment the time and move between the units (HH:MM:SS:)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support