"Data is Corrupted" when playing MPEG2 files

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

"Data is Corrupted" when playing MPEG2 files

Postby griffins » Sat May 09, 2009 9:19 pm

I have been using ps3ms for about 2 months now and love it. Unfortunately I have had the same problem since day one and have searched everywhere ( or atleast everywhere that I can think of) but cannot find a fix for the following issue.

If I try to play a video that says it is mpeg2 I get an error saying "data is corrupted". The only way I can get an mpeg2 file to play is by going into the
#--TRANSCODE--# folder and selecting it from there. The weird thing is that the movies only show as mpeg2 on the PS3. If I use mediainfo on any of the so-called mpeg2 files, it comes back and tells me that they are mpeg4.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a post that provides a fix for this already that I may have missed?
griffins

Re: "Data is Corrupted" when playing MPEG2 files

Postby ExSport » Sat May 09, 2009 10:04 pm

Vocabuary is your fix ;)
Did you read some post on this forum??? Do you know what PMS does? Do you know for what purpose folder TRANSCODE is?
In TRANSCODE folder you always will find MPEG2 files only. It is because if file is not played on PS3 natively, PMS will trancode/recode/re-encode it to compatible MPEG2.
Because that you see non MPEG2 files as MPEG2 ;)
ExSport

Postby griffins » Sun May 10, 2009 6:51 am

ExSport wrote:Vocabuary is your fix ;)

First off, I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it isn't my vocabulary that needs fixing....

ExSport wrote:Did you read some post on this forum??? Do you know what PMS does? Do you know for what purpose folder TRANSCODE is?
In TRANSCODE folder you always will find MPEG2 files only. It is because if file is not played on PS3 natively, PMS will trancode/recode/re-encode it to compatible MPEG2.
Because that you see non MPEG2 files as MPEG2 ;)

Second, I thought forums were a place to seek answers, and not to have questions answered by rhetorical questions?

I understand the reason for the transcode folder. My question is though, why are they showing as mpeg2 files on the ps3 but on the pc those same files all show as mpeg4? Should they not show the same?

If you are just going to be rude and not helpful, please don't respond.
griffins

Postby ExSport » Sun May 10, 2009 9:07 am

I am not rude but if seemed to be, sorry ;)
With Vocabulary I mean finding meaning for TRANSCODing word.
I think that I answered your question but maybe you don't understand..I will try it in other words.
PMS is software which can stream files to PS3 as is(in case PS3 supports this kind of files) or will transcode/re-encode/recode them to something what PS3 supports, like MPEG2.
PS3 don't support e.g. MKV container, some MPEG4/AVC compression settings breaking level 4.1(bluray standard), weired AVI(DivX/XviD) compression etc.
In case your file can't be played, you can use ###TRANSCODE### folder which contains same files but always re-encoded to MPEG2 for better PS3 support.
It mean if you have some XviD files, when PMS stream them as is, you can see them as DivX, but in TRANSCODE folder MPEG2 will be shown.
PMS supports 3 ways how to send data to PS3
- sending file without any change(direct streaming)
- converting files to MPEG2 on the fly(trancoding when PS3 can't play it natively)
- re-muxing file(in case codec is supported but not container=MKV file etc.)
When MPS will send data as is(.TS,.M2TS,.MPEG etc...) you will see correct info about your file on PMS but for other ones you will see MPEG2.
Hope it is more understandable now...
Also it could be good to read also some other posts in this forum which will be usefull for you to understand what PMS does and how so lot of your questions will be answered ;)
ExSport

Return to General Help and Support