More stream HD stuttering issues

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

More stream HD stuttering issues

Postby tjlmbklr » Thu May 07, 2009 11:51 pm

I have been plagued with stuttering 720p streaming since day one. I first noticed the issue with a Blu-ray stream (720p). So I decided my PC needed a better network card...so I upgraded to a 100/1000. Then the movie played flawlessly. So I went forward with attempting other BR streams and they are always hit or miss.

Here are my PC's specs (very old system will update when money grows on trees :lol: )
Intel 2.6Ghz
1GB Ram

This PC is used for only streaming and media storage. It is running XP and I have all the graphics at basic to keep and extra labor on it to as minimal as possible. And I also try to only have only processes running that are needed.

I am no network guru by any means but if upgraded my LAN card in my PC would I still be held back by my router that is only capable of 100Mbs/LAN?

It is a TrendNet TEW-631 Wireless N Router (for wireless to my laptop).

So when I have these stuttering issues on my PC I then try to use my laptop which has a much faster processor and more RAM. However it is wireless but "N" speed at 300Mbs. And the movies that give me trouble on my PC are worse on laptop. :-(

So where do I start? Was the Gigabyte card a good choice; it seemed to help with some movies? Should I find a Gigabyte router as well? And what settings are best on PMS...I hear default is best, is this true?

Thanks in advance!
tjlmbklr

Re: More stream HD stuttering issues

Postby Uridium » Fri May 08, 2009 9:07 am

Give us a bit more info please...

Is PS3 connected wired or wireless?
Are you streaming MKV (transcoding on the fly) or are you streaming pre-converted MKV's?
Uridium

Postby tjlmbklr » Sat May 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Sorry,

The PS3 is wired, the PC I am trying to run media from is also wire (100/1000 cat5e). The router is only a 10/100 though.

Are you streaming MKV (transcoding on the fly) or are you streaming pre-converted MKV's?

Not sure on this. The files are on my portable HDD and I have my PMS set up to see that folder. Then I play the file as I see it in PS3, or if there is an issue there I playe the ones in the "Transcode" folder.

Also would it help if I had a HDD w/ firewire?d
tjlmbklr

Postby tjlmbklr » Tue May 12, 2009 11:01 pm

Bumping for any more lookers w/ advice!
tjlmbklr

Postby jebise101 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:25 am

it looks like you have a p4 which is only at max able to do 720p at 3.0Ghz for 1080p you need a coreduo at least i think. Pc's are very cheap now anyways, you can get a nice rig for 500 dollars. I know your situation is different but you do need a upgrade. Try a mobo/processor combo they are cheap maybe 200
jebise101

Postby pmos69 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 am

With that CPU, you will only be able to stream HD videos that are ps3 compatible and can be tsmuxed.
There's just not enough juice for hd transcoding, and the P4 can't even use the newer mencoder multicore builds.

Besides changing hardware, your only option is to transcode your files before you stream them with PMS.
But prepare to waste a lot of time doing that if you take that road.
pmos69

Postby Subject2Change » Wed May 13, 2009 5:38 pm

If you are using a 100m router then no you will not be able to get gigabit network out of it.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Postby tjlmbklr » Thu May 14, 2009 1:23 am

Subject2Change wrote:If you are using a 100m router then no you will not be able to get gigabit network out of it.

Thanks, I figured so....more money to spend.... :roll:

jebise101 wrote:it looks like you have a p4 which is only at max able to do 720p at 3.0Ghz for 1080p you need a coreduo at least i think. Pc's are very cheap now anyways, you can get a nice rig for 500 dollars. I know your situation is different but you do need a upgrade. Try a mobo/processor combo they are cheap maybe 200

Actually I am doing pretty good considering I am not even at P4. I was told by Compaq that my mother board supports P4 but if i am going to spend money I am going to build better PC. Also i may have forgot to mention but I am maxed out with 1GB ram...better then the 512mb it had when I bought this pc like 6 years ago.

pmos69 wrote:With that CPU, you will only be able to stream HD videos that are ps3 compatible and can be tsmuxed.
There's just not enough juice for hd transcoding, and the P4 can't even use the newer mencoder multicore builds.

Besides changing hardware, your only option is to transcode your files before you stream them with PMS.
But prepare to waste a lot of time doing that if you take that road.

his explains alot. it is 50/50 with whether or not a movie will play. Somtimes I will make it all the way through but will get tiny stutters in some areas.
tjlmbklr

Return to General Help and Support