Manaiging the Media through Server

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Manaiging the Media through Server

Postby scrappy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:53 am

Okay, I stumbled across this, and like the fact that it is designed specifically for PS3 ... I'm using it under FreeBSD 7-STABLE, and it seems to run well, except that it doesn't appear to work under JDK1.5, once I installed jdk1.6, it was able to be found by my PS3 ... good so far.

Now, I'm new to this whole 'media server' concept, and having tried mediatomb first off, and not finding it there, am doubting that this si something for media servers but ... is there no way of doing a delete of media *from* the media client itself? I realize in a shared environment, you wouldn't want this by default, but where one is dealing with a pure 1 server to 1 client environment, is this not possible? If not by PS3 Media Server itself, is this not allowed by the specs and just not implemented yet?

Assuming this is not available, how are ppl managing their media? I have a box with 25 episodes of The Daily Show, as an example ... if I watch 3 of them, assuming there is no way to delete *from* the PS3, how are ppl dealing with this? I find it hard to believe ppl are writing down the episodes they watch, goin gto the media server itself, logging into the shell and then removing files ... ? Or are they ... ?

Also, what is on port 5001? Going via a web browser doesn't bring me up anything, so is this what hte PS3 talks to?
scrappy

Re: Manaiging the Media through Server

Postby meskibob » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 am

scrappy wrote: ... is there no way of doing a delete of media *from* the media client itself? I realize in a shared environment, you wouldn't want this by default, but where one is dealing with a pure 1 server to 1 client environment, is this not possible? If not by PS3 Media Server itself, is this not allowed by the specs and just not implemented yet?

This is a DLNA limitation.
scrappy wrote:Assuming this is not available, how are ppl managing their media? I have a box with 25 episodes of The Daily Show, as an example ... if I watch 3 of them, assuming there is no way to delete *from* the PS3, how are ppl dealing with this? I find it hard to believe ppl are writing down the episodes they watch, goin gto the media server itself, logging into the shell and then removing files ... ? Or are they ... ?

Start believing ;)
scrappy wrote:Also, what is on port 5001? Going via a web browser doesn't bring me up anything, so is this what hte PS3 talks to?

Nothing special about port 5001, it's just the default port used for the PMS<->PS3 communication.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby scrappy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:09 am

So, what is the 'Restart HTTP Server' about at the top of GUI? "Feature to come"?
scrappy

Postby meskibob » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:57 am

scrappy wrote:So, what is the 'Restart HTTP Server' about at the top of GUI? "Feature to come"?

Some settings can't be changed on-the-fly and require the PMS<->PS3 connection to be restarted. The described button becomes click-able in such cases and allows you to restart the connection without closing and re-opening PMS.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby sonic_screw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:31 pm

scrappy wrote:Assuming this is not available, how are ppl managing their media? I have a box with 25 episodes of The Daily Show, as an example ... if I watch 3 of them, assuming there is no way to delete *from* the PS3, how are ppl dealing with this? I find it hard to believe ppl are writing down the episodes they watch, goin gto the media server itself, logging into the shell and then removing files ... ? Or are they ... ?

Personally, I just buy a bigger HDD, and don't delete anything. Occasionally I will clear out some old media that I know I have seen and won't want to watch again. I can do this across the network from my laptop, if I don't want to leave my living room. I can remote desktop into my server if I want to do any more complex management such as moving files and folders around. But really, terabyte hard drives are so cheap now, what's the point in deleting anything? ;)
sonic_screw

Postby meskibob » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:26 am

Just as a side note, there is a request (located at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14) to implement some sort of color scheme in the XMB to indicate which files have already been watched.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support