Videos Randomly Pause

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Videos Randomly Pause

Postby darkonex » Sat May 02, 2009 1:35 am

Ever since the versions from 1.04 and beyond I've had a random issue that appears to almost get worse with each new version and that is I'll be playing a video and it simply pauses. Doesn't seem to matter what kind it is, could be some standard def AVI or a 720P or 1080P MKV. Sometimes I can try to skip forward and it will continue on but most the time I have to stop and restart the video so it's incredibly annoying. Here is my setup:

Intel Q9650 @ 3.6Ghz
8GB Corsair DDR2
Asus P5B Deluxe mobo
XFX GeForce GTX 285 1GB video
1TB WD Black SATA2 HDD
(2X) Seagate 750GB SATA2 HDDs
500GB WD SATA2 HDD
SoundBlaster X-Fi
Corsair HX620 psu
Vista 64bit Ultimate

I'm currently using the beta release from today 1.10.630 and my PS3 is connected via gigabit cat6 to a D-Link 655 router. Again this issue didn't seem to happen on early versions, I believe 1.04 and prior, but every release I've tried since, and I've tried them all, this happens. I have done full uninstalls, reboots, clean reinstalls and doesn't help. When it pauses I don't see any errors showing in the trace log and I don't get any errors on the screen, it just appears as if I actually paused the video but I didn't and hitting Play or Pause doesn't make it continue. Debug log is attached.
Attachments
debug.rar
(108.47 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
darkonex

Re: Videos Randomly Pause

Postby darkonex » Sat May 02, 2009 1:47 am

Also as a matter of fact, I'm sitting here streaming stuff now, and it has done this now for 8 out of 10 videos I just played so it's worse then ever. Also wanted to add that when it happens the transocode buffer status just shows 0 bitrate but if I sit there and watch that page it goes between 262kb/s and 0kb/sec randomly and the trace log appears as if the video is still streaming. My general settings are 600 transcode buffer, 2 cores, 6 channels 5.1, 640 AC3 audio bitrate, maximum bandwidth = 0, and mpeg 2 qual = keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2

Also while this video I have now that's paused and I'm sitting here typing, eventually it moved again for like 2 sec and paused again without me doing anything.
darkonex

Postby michael1986 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:22 am

Have the same problem with the new built, i tested it and it only happens when i watch a mkv file with srt subs. When i watch a mkv file without any subs it plays perfectly. Do you watch with or without subs?
michael1986

Postby zalliehoem » Sat May 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi,
I'm reading this post about the stuttering in the mkv files if you chosen subtitles(srt) with the movie (MKV)i'm using this version of the Ps3 MS v1.10.51.
I have also movie's (mkv)where everything is playing fine included subs.
I got one mkv file where the Ps3 Media Server completely shut down and also the computer is restarting?.
I'm using the Playstation 3 for streaming.
Is There a bug in the software perhaps?.Perhaps a setting i can alter.
William.
zalliehoem

Postby crankycowboy » Sat May 02, 2009 2:19 pm

I had this same problem but mine was related to my cable. I built my own cat 5 cables and did straight through cables which was limiting my bandwidth to 10mbps. I reconfigured to a crossover cable and my throughput jumped and pausing and stuttering stopped. Don't know if this could help you or not, just sharing my experience just in case.
crankycowboy

Postby darkonex » Sat May 02, 2009 2:22 pm

No it happens without subs too. Last night I uninstalled and went back to 1.04 and now the problem stopped. So the problem occurs for me with every version above 1.04 apparently. Since 1.04 works I'll stick with it but now an annoying issue with it is for some reason some videos don't make thumbnails when they used to, but I can get over that. I would like to know what it is about the newer builds that's causing it though.
darkonex

Postby zalliehoem » Sun May 03, 2009 10:02 am

I have also uninstalled version .51 to 1.04 but but it's no working here the stuttering still going on!.
Is there no one to tell what the solution is?.

And can anybody tell me why can i get the transcode buffer no higher than 400.0 mb? I got 4 gb system memory is the trancode buffer related to the system
memory ik would like to now that please?.

Something else If you play a mkv movie with subs you got stuttering (i'm)without subs it's playing fine,but with subs not,but the the stuttering is not on the complete movie only litle sections of it?.
William. from Holland.
zalliehoem

Postby darkonex » Sun May 03, 2009 3:24 pm

I've never had any stuttering, my problem with versions above 1.04 is the videos just completely pause and I even have the || pause icon up on the screen as if I actually paused it but I didn't, and I can't unpause it. I can definitely say going back to 1.04 has fixed that problem, I watched alot of vids yesterday and a couple full MKV movies and none of them had any issue whereas before it would happen at least every other video I watched. So I don't believe it to be my PC, my cabling, my router, etc since going back to an older version fixes it, it's definitely something with the software that has changed that is causing it. I know I'm not the only one who has seen this issue, there was another post I couldn't find again that mentioned this exact same issue. Anyway for now I'm just gonng stick with 1.04 since it's working.

Also Zalliehoem for your buffer you are putting in 600 and saving it right? Not 600.0 because it won't take it if you add the .0
darkonex

Postby meskibob » Sun May 03, 2009 4:47 pm

zalliehoem wrote:And can anybody tell me why can i get the transcode buffer no higher than 400.0 mb? I got 4 gb system memory is the trancode buffer related to the system
memory ik would like to now that please?.
The limit is 600mb, and it's a java limitation.
zalliehoem wrote:Something else If you play a mkv movie with subs you got stuttering (i'm)without subs it's playing fine,but with subs not,but the the stuttering is not on the complete movie only litle sections of it?.
Because without subs you usually can just remux with TSmuxer, but with subs you HAVE to do a full transcode with MEncoder. A full transcode is much more resource intensive than just a remux.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby zalliehoem » Sun May 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Ok, Thanks for the reply!
I've test something i've playt two mkv files with srt subs one in 1080p this one whas stuttering ofcourse without subs it's ok.
Than the same movie in 720p with subs and what do you think?? everything playt good no stuttering.
My computer info is,
Processor - dual core (4 cores) 2.83GHZ.
Memory - 4 gb.
Network- 100mbps.
My computer setting must be enough for playing mkv in 1080p i think?.
I've also mkv movies in 1080p and if i play this with the subs there is no stuttering than,why?.Perhaps this one where there is nu problem is in Dolby 5.1 and
the one with stuttering is in DTS sound.

Yes my buffer got it now on 600 i whas putting it wrong! in 600,0 thats no working.
I will do more testing to see what happens with different settings???.
William
zalliehoem

Next

Return to General Help and Support