streamin/stutter issues

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

streamin/stutter issues

Postby Gil » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi, new to this program trying to get it sorted out.
Specs:

intel i7 720 2.6Ghz @ 3.8Ghz
EVGA x-58 mobo, onboard LAN
6GB DDR3 1060 @1330Mhz
EVGA GTX280
Vista 64
Dlink WBR 2310 802.11g Wireless router Firmware version 1.04, wired connection to PC, wireless to PS3.

video: Avisynth/MEncoder
audio: Mplayer Audio
Web streaming: VideoLan
Buffer max size: 400.0MB
number of cores: 8
AC3 bitrate: 640
Max Bandwidth 15Mb/S
The PS3 sees my shared files and can play them, but the mediaserver doesn't see the PS3. Last time I tried it it saw the PS3 just fine, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I can play the videos but it tends to freeze up periodically for anywhere between a half second to a few seconds (audio and video). It doesn't matter if I'm streaming a 720p video or a little 700mb avi file. When I check out the computer during this the buffer sits at empty and I/O stats: say nothing, Current bitrate: nothing. This is the way it was when it say the PS3 and it's still the same now that it can't seem to recognize it.

Any ideas? Is it the wifi router? how can I trouble shoot this, the router is on another floor and I can't access it to run wires to the PS3.

My CPU sits at around 3% usage.
Gil

Re: streamin/stutter issues

Postby Gil » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:24 pm

got the PC to recognize the PS3 again.
current bitrate: 0kb/s peak bitrate: 0kb/s

is this not right?
also, while watching my network monitor I can see it streaming out at about 1.5MB/s with lots of little seemingly random drops to nothing for short periods.

edit: the freezes definately correspond to the drops in upload rate. What might be causing this?
Gil

Postby jefter » Fri May 01, 2009 6:15 am

Your system is more than good enough to handle transcoding videos. Is someone using the computer while PMS is running, i.e. using photoshop, playing pc games etc.? If that is so then you may be getting stuttering because of that...it "may" be the cause, but unlikely. The thing is i was having the same problems on my laptop, and its only a dual core with 3GB RAM, i switched off other tasks such as torrents, nero etc and the videos started running smoothly again.

Hope i was of some help...good luck!
jefter

Postby Gil » Fri May 01, 2009 7:37 pm

The only thing running PMS.
I'm thinking that maybe it's to do with the wifi network? The most signal strength I can get on the PS3 is about 50%. Could that be causing the random little drops in bandwidth? Also is my router perhaps not good enough? It is only a 54Mbps router.

Any recommendations for a wifi network? Running cables is not an option, but I would really like to get this running smoothly so I can watch the 1080p stuff on my TV instead of the PC.
Gil

Return to General Help and Support