Java Transcode/Encode Help Please

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Java Transcode/Encode Help Please

Postby ahhughes » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:16 am

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some expert advice here.... I'd like to know if I can take a series of images and trans/encode them to a video output stream which is then publised && consumable from the ps3.

Help would be great :)
ahhughes

Re: Java Transcode/Encode Help Please

Postby whome » Fri May 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Download FFMPEG binaries and use it to create a movie from series of image files.
http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/builds/

Say, you have imgXXXX.png files (img0001.png, img0002.png, img0003.png,...). You could run this command:
ffmpeg.exe -qscale 25 -r 20 -b 1024 -i img%04d.png movie.mp4

You can change qscale 1-35 value (best...worst), r is framerate, b is video bitrate. qscale and bitrate affects the image quality.
whome

Re: Java Transcode/Encode Help Please

Postby ahhughes » Tue May 05, 2009 12:53 pm

whome wrote:Download FFMPEG binaries and use it to create a movie from series of image files.
http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/builds/

Say, you have imgXXXX.png files (img0001.png, img0002.png, img0003.png,...). You could run this command:
ffmpeg.exe -qscale 25 -r 20 -b 1024 -i img%04d.png movie.mp4

You can change qscale 1-35 value (best...worst), r is framerate, b is video bitrate. qscale and bitrate affects the image quality.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

This is a good example of how I could encode a series of known png files to movie.mp4 - which is interesting, but not what I really need (I should be more specific). I would like to know how I can transcode a series of images that are created at runtime into a video stream (for client consumption).

I've no idea how this can be done, but I guess that much is obvious :)
ahhughes

Return to General Help and Support