How to stream ripped blue ray to PS3MS

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

How to stream ripped blue ray to PS3MS

Postby bohorne » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:00 pm

:D
Hello everyone,

since a couple of weeks I'm using PS3MS to stream DVD's from my PC to the PS3 in my home cinema.
Now I want to move forward and want to stream ripped blue ray movies as well. I've already ripped a blue ray (completely - 1 to 1 copy) to my hard disk and I can see the movie on my PS3. But I only have movie and no sound. I have also done some TSMuxing of the movie with correct language and subtitles, but same issue. only movie, no sound. So I have some questions how to solve this.
:?:
What's the best way forward to play ripped blue ray's on PS3MS?

Is there also the possibiliy to use the blue ray menu as it can be done on DVD's?

Thxs in advance for helping me out on this issue.
:P
bohorne

Re: How to stream ripped blue ray to PS3MS

Postby whome » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:13 pm

avsforum post about the same issue, I have not tried it:
I have accomplished what you wanted by doing the following,
1. Rip BlueRay disk to hard drive using AnyDVD
2. Use BDInfo to find the stream file that hold the movie only on the disc
3. TSMuxer.exe to select the steam file you found in step2. Once you have it select only select the .m2ts file and the audio you want. I always use the best audio availible. DTS or DD-HD. They both work with PS3 Media Server. For the output format have it put into BD Disc format.
4. Use RipBot to select the single m2ts file that you have in the newly created BD structure, and compress the movie down to 720p mkv file.
5. Playback the single mkv file through PS3 Media Server.... End file is only around 4 GB instead of 20-30GB. I cannot tell the difference on my 100" 1080p projector setup.

Another one is MultiAVCHD guide, maybe it gives some help.

About the dvd/bluray menus, there is no such concept in an entire dlna specs so its a no-go for menus. You must have a mediafile to be played or dlna server capable of finding the exact video+audio stream from the movie disc file structure.
whome

Postby Neuendorf » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:28 pm

For streams:
- the PS3 does only support AC3 sound. Therefore, you need to make sure for direct streams one such track is available or you use the "transcode" option of PS3MS.
- the PS3 does not support VC-1 video. You have to use the "transcode" option of PS3MS whenever a VC-1 video track needs to be streamed.
Neuendorf

Postby moshjahan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:01 pm

PS3 does support DTS and AAC encoded AC3 or DTS. It works for me at least on my US model PS3 with firmware 2.70. I am able to stream MKVs with DTS audio tracks to my PS3 using PS3MS. My AV processor is my trusty Yamaha DSP-A1 which has no problems locking onto AC3 or DTS bitstreams from my PS3.

PS3 also DOES support VC1video playback, again at least mine does. VC1 is the flavor of Windows Media Video 9 mandated as one of the video codecs for the Blu-ray specification. However, PS3 does not support Windows Media Audio Pro, which is the 5.1 version of Windows Media. Regular WMA is supported though.
moshjahan

Postby Neuendorf » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:10 pm

If you stream a MKV with DTS to the PS3, the PS3MS is certainly re-muxing the MKV to a MT2S and fooling the PS3 by faking a LPCM audio track. If you stream a VC-1 track, PS3 is transcoding a MPEG2 video. You can check by hiding the "select" button on the PS3 while streaming. "Direct" streaming a MKV with VC-1 video and DTS should not work, anything else would be completely new to me.
Neuendorf

Postby bohorne » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Hello,

thanks for the feedback, but my problem of no sound is not solved yet.
On the ripped blue ray, I have only (English) DTS-HD audio. Could this be the issue? Any solutions?
bohorne

Postby jr2647 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:36 am

once rip extract the streams using Hd BR stream extractor and remux changing the DTS to AC3 and you will have 5.1 sound. the DTS will not stream thru ps3. and the only AC3 tracks on alot of blu ray movies is in another language.
jr2647

Return to General Help and Support