Solution to (how to fix) DLNA protocol error 2104

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Solution to (how to fix) DLNA protocol error 2104

Postby gk0r » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 am

Hi all,

Out of nowhere I started to get the "DLNA protocol error 2104" when trying to play *any* content on my PS3 (even radio). Everything worked fine one day, and all went to shit the next.

I spent hours googling on the net, reading posts written by people without a clue. This often reported for wireless connections so I discarded any advice given in that area because my PS3 is connected via ethernet cable.

Anyway, long story short - if everything used to work fine and all the sudden things stop playing - free up some space on your HDD.
Sounds awfully simple, I had seemingly had 3.5 GB free, ought to be enough isn't it? Turns out it's not.

It would only play in small 30 second blocks and die after that, no matter what configuration or codec I tried. I deleted an old TV series to free up another 10GB, and even without restarting the PS3/PMS it fixed the problem on the spot.

If you have the same issue, please bump this thread so that more people can stumble on it.

Cheers all,
gk0r
gk0r

Re: Solution to (how to fix) DLNA protocol error 2104

Postby psik » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi, are you talking about freeing space on the HD that PS3 MS is installed on? Or the hard drive that the movies are on??
AMD ATHLON XP 1.7, XP SP3, WiFi Router Connection
psik

Postby meskibob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Free up space on the drive the O/S (and by default PMS) is installed on. The general guideline is to have atleast 10% of the drive's space free at any given time to allow for memory to be properly paged out the harddisk (for virtual memory).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby psik » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:48 am

Ok, will try that and let you know how it goes. Thank you very much.
AMD ATHLON XP 1.7, XP SP3, WiFi Router Connection
psik

Postby rayuki » Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 pm

i'm having this error but its only happening when running the service style not the GUI style.

also this solution seems like a load of bollocks, i have a 1tb drive and about 600gb is free lol.
rayuki

Postby railman229 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:20 am

Same here on the 1TB drive with almost 800GB free. I get that message intermittently and it certainly isn't a hard drive space issue.
railman229

Postby atari_ckx » Sat May 30, 2009 11:35 am

Same here, 3 disks, 1.5 TB, 1.5TB and 1.0TB and all have around 30-40% free ...

ATARI
atari_ckx

Postby sd-six » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:59 am

have the same problem since i upgraded to Win7 RC1. All works fine and about 20 minutes the picture freezes and the dlna network error shows up. A few seconds later i can play the vid again and it starts at the same postition as the crash.

the debug.log shows "disconnection from the host". it never happens under winxp pro.

It happens for the latest beta and the 1.10.5.

cya sd-6
sd-six

Postby pissedatps3 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:20 pm

I have a DLINK router. Which I think is the cause of this most irritating problem. I get this error time after time. Log says its timing out. BS!! I went into my dlink router and found a section in the firewall settings. Enabling the DMZ caused it to start working as soon as I clicked the save button.

go to your router address. For me it is 192.168.0.1
Select the advanced tab, then select firewall settings. On this screen you should have the SPI enabled, UDP address restricted, TCP address and port restricted, disabled the anti spoof checking, enable the DMZ (here you have to put in your PS3's IP address, also further down the page, you should have PPTP checked, IPsec (VPN) checked, RTSP checked, and SIP checked. Click save. Then go back and try your video streaming on your ps3. Cross your fingers that I am correct, and enjoy your viewing. I have done every single one of these posts, and none of them worked for me. However this one thing I did worked. I do not know what the setting should be on the linksys, or any other router firewall, but I expect that it is similar if you can find your way around it.
pissedatps3

Postby devildog93 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:27 pm

with 2104 I simply go restart my Media Server Connection. Disable it, back out then go in and re-enable it.
devildog93

Next

Return to General Help and Support