General performance question and 5.1 surround question too

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

General performance question and 5.1 surround question too

Postby rob » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 pm

I have a couple of questions relating to this fantastic piece of software. First of all I am running on a wired network and I have installed PS3 MS as well as CCCP codec pack and the sound is send out via optical connection to my amp. The bandwidth appears to be fine with 720p mkv files playing fine with no stuttering.

The first relates to the performance of 720p mkv files and avi's. Mostly they play ok, but if I try to skip forward faster than x1.5 or rewind then the picture freezes and often the video won't restart successfully. Is this normal, or do I need to change some setting somewhere?

My second question is to do with the 5.1 output. While playing mkv files, often the center channel (voices etc) go really quiet or disappear. If I power-cycle my amp sometimes they come back and sometimes they go again. Saying that sometimes I can watch a whole program without it failing. I have read other people complaining of this, but as turning the amp off and on can fix it I was wondering if it is the same problem or if my amp needs to be replaced :(

Thansk,
Rob
rob

Re: General performance question and 5.1 surround question too

Postby coo-coo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:05 am

Caveat: I am just starting to use PS3MS, and am a real noob at this whole topic of DVD rip/encode/decode/etc.

I am seeing the same problems with the audio.

I used MakeMKV and the audio does exactly the same thing - starts out fine then I lose the center channel. I have a Sony STR-DG820 HDMI receiver, so I don't think the problem is the receiver.

My server PC is a C2D E6850 3.4GHz.
Network is wired gbs.
PS3MS v1.10.51
coo-coo

Re: General performance question and 5.1 surround question too

Postby hollovoid7 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:29 pm

it happens with 2 channel output w/ me, lose voices, etc...but fine when played off computer w/ same codecs
hollovoid7

Return to General Help and Support