Which audio track gets used in an AppleTV-formatted file?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Which audio track gets used in an AppleTV-formatted file?

Postby sddawson » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:13 am

I'm trying to pick a video format that gives me maximum flexibility across a possible future AppleTV, Macs and PS3's. I've tried encoding using Handbrake's AppleTV preset. This adds 2 audio tracks - stereo AAC and AC3 5.1 (passthrough). When I stream this using PMS, is it smart enough to pick the 5.1 track? In the transcode folder on the PS3 the default (top) Mencoder entry gets AC2.0. Further down the list there are 5.1 options that do (according to the PS3) produce 5.1. But I don't know if PMS is taking the stereo AAC track and converting it to 5.1, or is indeed picking the 5.1 track. Can anyone tell me?

Thanks.
sddawson

Re: Which audio track gets used in an AppleTV-formatted file?

Postby Turtlegsr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:07 am

Hi sddawson,
I have exactly the contrary situation, i switch from AppleTV to PS3 platform and now i have about 100 videos coded from Handbrake for AppleTV to see on PS3.

I get my PS3 last week i will do some test with my AppleTV video with and without AC3 connected to an AC3/DTS ampli and i will post my result.

I also suggest you to consider to install on AppleTV XBMC project...... it will open many new feature such as:

1. DVD image playback
2. more video format support

and so on.....

Stay tuned.

Marco
Turtlegsr

Postby sddawson » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:13 pm

I've been playing with Boxee on the Mac, and that works on AppleTV as well. To be honest, I'm leaning towards using Mac Minis instead of AppleTV. More expensive but MUCH more flexible.

It will be interesting to hear the results of your tests. I presume that since you're posting here you intend to stream to the PS3 using PS3 Media Server? Still hoping that someone can give a definitive answer on which of the audio tracks gets used in which circumstances.

Thanks for posting!
sddawson

Postby Turtlegsr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Before to sell AppleTV i have installed XBMC on it and i preffered it respect Boxee.

Sure, Mac Mini is more expensice, but you think is more flexible?!?!?!?
Before to get AppleTV i try to define which solution (mini or ATV) should be better........
and the better depend only for this 2 thinks:

1. you don't need a local CD/DVD drive
2. you need an HD output

if the 2 point are true, AppleTV is the perfect solution, with XBMC all feature for a media center is present.....

with a mini, unfortunatly, HD experience is not so good, but you can live ;-)

YES at the moment PS3 Media Server is my main media streaming server, but i want to stream not only my video, but also my picture (from aperture - preferred- or iphoto ) and stream itunes library......

I do all test but i don't signe any result, so i repeat test and post result ;-)

By
Marco
Turtlegsr

Postby sddawson » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:47 am

Hello again, Marco.

I'll take a look at XBMC. Plex looks interesting too. They have a server app too which serves up iTunes/iPhoto/Aperture, which would be really good. Doesn't run on AppleTV though.

Why do you say the HD experience on a Mini is not so good? As far as I know, it should be better than an AppleTV, which only supports up to 720p. The Mini (especially the latest model) should be able to do 1080. The only think I'm hazy about is whether Front Row supports iTunes-purchased/rented movies, and whether it can pass through AC3 at all. I've read that a later version of Quicktime broke the Perian-provided tweak to do passthrough. Then the Mini can also run XBMC/Plex/Boxee as well as being able to run anything else, like a standard web browser. That's why I thought it was more flexible.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I do all test but i don't signe any result". I can tell English isn't your first language, but you're doing remarkably well. Much better than I could do trying to type in whatever is your native language!

Cheers.
sddawson

Postby Turtlegsr » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi sddawson,
i'm an italian boy and use english only to read and sometime to wite , specialy in tech material......
so fo rme in difficult to write correctly my think...by away.

Yes you are right, latest mini is more better and HD experience capable respect mini present was present when i buyed AppleTV.
OK for today mini, HD out through new video interface :-)

As promise i run some test and i try to summuraize my experience.... :-)
I stream my video from Medialink, that work as any other streaming program suchas eyeconnect,rivet,etc also from ps3 media manager

Try playback from Medialink and i have this results:
Program - Video codec - audio codec - audio format - ps3 playback
Handbrake - h.264 - aac - dolby surround - ok in stereo
Handbrake - h.264 - aac - dolby pro logih II - ok in stereo
Handbrake - h.264 - aac - 6ch discrete - ok but no sound from my ampli not compatible with aac-6ch (ps3 show multich video)
Handbrack - h.264 - ac3 pass - ac3 pass - format unsopported

Try playback from PS3 MediaServer and i have this results:
Program - Video codec - audio codec - audio format - ps3 playback from *transcode
Handbrake - h.264 - aac - dolby surround - ok in stereo
Handbrake - h.264 - aac - dolby pro logih II - ok in stereo
Handbrake - h.264 - aac - 6ch discrete - ok converted to ac3
Handbrack - h.264 - ac3 pass - ac3 pass - ok converted to ac3

I also create VOB from DVD using DVD2ONEX
i export only movie from DVD create a VOB with AC3 audio and another VOB with DTS audio

From Medialink i can play both VOB type, but the one with DTS track no sound are play. AC3 track play fine.

I hope my result can help you to choose better video/audio format to decode all your video....

By Marco

ps: i use PS3 media server ver. 1.11 (beta) for my test and medialink 1.72
Turtlegsr

Postby sddawson » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:54 am

Hi again, Marco. Thanks very much for posting your results. What Handbrake preset were you using? Were you adding an AAC track AND an AC3 track to each file? This is what happens when you encode using the AppleTV preset. In this case, I'd like the PS3 to play the AC3 track, but it looks like I have to specifically find the AC3 track in the transcode folder to get this to work.
sddawson

Return to General Help and Support