Streamed video sometimes uses abnormally high bitrate

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Streamed video sometimes uses abnormally high bitrate

Postby Sven Viking » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:41 pm

PS3 Media Server version: 1.10.5
Windows XP SP3, dual 3.2Ghz CPUs, 2Gb RAM
Wifi network (g)
Happened using default settings. Changed some of them attempting to solve the problem, but had no luck.
Using mencoder

Sometimes when streaming a file, the video bitrate listed on the PS3 jumps above 40Mbit, even when I have the Maximum Bandwidth set to 25Mbit or lower in Video Quality Settings. This causes the video to slow and eventually stop. It has happened with both MKV files and XVID AVI files.

I tried choosing to "Copy" one file instead of playing it, and it copied over 700 megabytes to the PS3 before I cancelled it. The original file was 237 megabytes.
Sven Viking

Re: Streamed video sometimes uses abnormally high bitrate

Postby Zr0 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Might not be much help but... I don't think the MBit counter in the ps3's video player is super accurate. Maybe try running NetstatX on your pc and watch the network use there?
Zr0

Postby Sven Viking » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:51 am

Thanks, will try that when I get time. I think it may at least vaguely indicate a high transcoding bitrate, though, since:

- The problem doesn't occur when streaming via TVersity, unless you're streaming an extremely high-bitrate file with "decrease the bitrate if it is too high for my network" disabled.
- Video plays smoothly when the bitrate is shown to stay within manageable levels.
- The mentioned small file copying to the PS3 with a huge size would indicate a high bitrate.

Also, I just checked, and the 400mb PS3 Media Server buffer fills up within two minutes of beginning to play a file. With "Maximum bandwidth in Mbits" set to 20, and "AC3 Audio Bandwidth in Kbits" set to 384, the media player's Status window showed a peak bitrate of 33816 kb/s (and the Current bitrate values shown seemed to average around 30000). This was on a file that played relatively smoothly in comparison to some times, so I'm assuming it wasn't the most extreme example of the problem.

The weird thing is, it actually seems the problem may be random. After restarting the media server, the same part of the same file transcoded with a lower bitrate (as reported in PS3 Media Player's Status screen). Restarting the media server doesn't always solve the problem, though, as I'd tried it earlier with no luck.
Sven Viking

Postby sddawson » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:02 am

I just started using PMS, and I've seen the same thing. Very high bit rates reported (and skipping), but after a restart or two it settles down and behaves. Definitely random.

In looking into this, I also noticed that if I change a video quality setting in the dropdown, save and restart, it goes back to the default top-of-the-list one. The maximum bandwidth setting is saved, however...
sddawson

Postby Sven Viking » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:23 am

Hmm, definitely strange.
Sven Viking

Postby ExSport » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 pm

What quality are you using? You can't suppose that with insane quality MEncoder will fit to limited bitrate e.g. 15Mbit/s ;) You need also lower quality with bandwidth limit little bit...
ExSport

Postby mystiqu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi

I have the same problem here, seems like my transcoded videos increases its bitrate with x30 (at least).
Even though I have a wireless 802.11 G at home, I had to decrease the maximum bandwith to 5Mbit before it started to work okay.

Is there anyway to have mencoder or Tsmuxer do a 1:1 transcode, i.e. i want to keep the bitrate if possible from the original file I´m streaming ??
mystiqu

Postby sddawson » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:26 am

From further observation, I don't think I have a problem (but I'm not the original poster). The quality setting IS getting saved properly. I was expecting that, once I chose one of the suggested quality levels, that the comments that are alongside that would get reinstated after a restart. The comments aren't, but the actual values are. My mistake. So I was seeing very high bitrates at the PS3 when it was starting to stutter because the quality level was too high. I'm not sure that the PS3 is displaying the bit rate properly when this starts to happen. If it catches up a little the bit rate goes down again, but gets really high again once it starts to stutter. Once I have the quality level right for my network it seems fine.
sddawson

Postby Sven Viking » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 am

ExSport wrote:What quality are you using? You can't suppose that with insane quality MEncoder will fit to limited bitrate e.g. 15Mbit/s ;) You need also lower quality with bandwidth limit little bit...

My quality setting was "keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2" -- haven't changed it since installing, so I'm guessing it's the default.

Note that I was originally using 25Mbit/s as the max bitrate setting, and the problem was that it seemed to be going well above that. Also it seems to occur sometimes and not others, even when I haven't changed any settings.

I'll try "keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2 /* Good quality for HD Wifi Transcoding */" next time, though -- afraid I didn't really notice the quality setting earlier.
Sven Viking

Return to General Help and Support