Lag on 1080p with subtitles, please help!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Lag on 1080p with subtitles, please help!

Postby Zoriant » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:13 am

Hi, i am struggling with this very annoying problem.

About a week ago i could stream HD-movies with 1080p to my ps3 slim using PMS with no problem and also with external subtitles. But now i can't.
The problem is that if i choose the movie directly and not going into the transcoding folder the subtitles won't load but there is no lag. However if i go into the transcoding folder and choose "[VLC Video] [Audio: DTS/English] [SUB: SubRip/Undetermined]*". The subtitles load just fine but the video lags or stutters like 5 seconds into the video. I have tried all the other transcoding files but all that is loading the subtitles lags or stutters.

I am running PMS on windows 8.1 64 Bit and using the latest PMS version (1.90.1 Build 3a4304c72 2013-08-17).
I do not run with wireless connection. Both my computer and my ps3 are wired and i have a 100 Mbit connection so that should not be a problem.

My computer specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.00 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB (4x2)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz 3GB GDDR5
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

I did not include my harddrive since i have tested installing PSM on both my really old HDD and a brand new SSD.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this :D
Zoriant

Re: Lag on 1080p with subtitles, please help!

Postby Mad Devil » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:27 am

I am having the same exact issue now which was not the case before. I remember having updated Java a few days ago. Could updating the java be what caused the stuttering problem?! Have you updated Java lately as well? Please let me know when you find a fix and/or the cause of the problem!
Thx!
Mad Devil

Re: Lag on 1080p with subtitles, please help!

Postby Zoriant » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:57 pm

I have just solved the problem.

I noticed that the videofiles that was lagging for me had embedded subtitles in them. So what i did was i downloaded MkvToolNix (http://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html) and removed the embended subtitles. After this the movie loaded just fine and the subs were there and in sync. Didn't even have to go into the transcoding folder.

I hope this solves the problem for anyone else that had the same issue.
Zoriant

Return to General Help and Support